Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epaine_gw

Help with Tanning Bed Electrical Schematics?

EPaine
13 years ago

Hi, I'm asking all to help with the wiring of this tanning bed that i have acquired. We got it from a friend and cant figure out how to wire the shock ballasts to the bulbs? We had a electrician come out and run the 220 line for it and he wasn't sure how to hook up the wires on the bed itself. I did call the company and ask them to send me the wiring schematics on it and they said they do not have one since its an older model and i need to find a electrician that works on beds. The bed was hooked up and running at the friends house but her husband dissembled it and just pulled out all wires during an argument. Let me know what you think. Thank You!

Comments (13)

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

I don't care how old it is. That is a high end machine and the company HAS to have some kind of diagrams available for it. If not then IMO that is completely unacceptable.

Also, for them to say you "need to find a electrician that works on beds" is a freakin JOKE. Electricians don't typically repair tanning beds. You may find someone willing to mess with that monster, but if it were me I would NOT be responsible for it. The company is simply trying to push responsibility off on someone else.

Also, what are "shock ballasts"??? Does that bed double as some sort of torture device?? LOL

• wayne440
    13 years ago

Unacceptable or not, many companies no longer support products that are much over 10 years old. That is a reflection of what has happened to the mindset of manufacturers over time. Making products that last just long enough to survive the warranty, and abandoning support as soon as they can legally do so are typical.

Your best bet is to ask arounnd town and find out who your local "go to" person is. Every town has someone that takes on the jobs no one else wants or is able to do, just for the challenge. Find that person, and you will be tanning by the time he/she leaves.

• countryboymo
    13 years ago

Or if nothing else fix it so it does not open and list it as a part of the space shuttle that was decommissioned and buy a new one with the profits. Wow talk about a nightmare without a diagram

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

And you probably don't want to hear this, but the risk of skin cancer at least triples for people who regularly use tanning beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Melanoma risk

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"We got it from a friend and cant figure out how to wire the shock ballasts to the bulbs?"

Do you mean the ballasts?

The connection diagram should be on top of the ballast.

There should be a name plate that lists if it is a 120/240 V load or straight 240 V load.

The ones I have seen are 120/240 V loads and use a 120 V timer to open one side of the 240 V going to the ballasts.

Other than that they are not especially complicated, just power through time to bulb ballasts.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

If worse comes to worst, you could always ignore any electronics and/or the timer, replacing it with a simple aftermarket 240v mechanical timer (if you use a 4-wire feeder the timer motor can be 120v). Then just connect the ballasts and lamps per the ballast diagrams.

I definitely wouldn't try to use it without some kind of timer, though. I hear that overexposure to these things can get kinda unpleasant.

• maryland_irisman
    13 years ago

Here's the user manual in PDF format

http://www.prosun.com/pdf/Sapphire_User_Manual.pdf

Here's a couple of sites I found with a quick search. I didn't go through them to see what they offered for your particular make and model.

http://www.tanning-bed-central.com/supplies/download-tanning-bed-manuals.htm

http://www.tanning-bed-parts.com/parts-finder?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1602&category_id=153

• toni3036_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I need to know how to hook up Sunal tanning bed 240 volt with wire colors blue, brown, yellow with green stripe.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Blue and brown are hot legs of teg 240 V, yellow with a green stripe is ground.

Cordage and internal wiring do not follow the NEC conventions for color.

• petey_racer
    12 years ago

Blue and brown are also hot and neutral of European 240v systems.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Any European equipment will work just fine across an Edison circuit like we use for 240 V.

Our higher frequency (60 Hz vs. 50 Hz) is also fine.

Going the other way (60 Hz on a 50 Hz supply) is NOT going to work with many motors or transformers.

It will male motors spin faster, and can cause issues with equipment sensitive to rotation speed.

• HU-515493950
    3 years ago

I need help!!! I pick up a tanning bed from a tanning place that went out of business.. It’s a Solaris 442 They guy told me I can wire it up so it will plug into a outlet like a stove. But he had it hard wired The book says I need to operate from a 220v ac power source and it should be hard wired To a dedicated circuit capable of provding 40 amp service. And it’s important voltage must be below 230v ac may require buck booster.

can someone please help I just what to wire this thing up is there other safe ways to do so like the guy told me.

• Ron Natalie
    3 years ago

You need to run a cable of sufficient ampacity (probably 6g) from a 40A breaker to the tanning bed.