Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gfi switch won't reset

Posted by gemerling (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 9:09

I turned off breakers to identify outlets. In doing so, I shut off a gfi outlet which will not now reset. The red button will not stay in place. It controls outlets in two baths, a garage receptacle, and an outdoor outlet. The gfi outlet is still powered. HELP PLEASE!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gfi switch won't reset

Well, there are two possibilies:

1. The unit is defective.
2. There really is a ground fault some where.

Everybody wants to glom on to the first. It's certainly the easiest to check for ($14 or whatever for a new GFCI).

The second requires some intelligence. The first step is to remove the wires from the load side of the GFCI. If that allows the GFCI to reset then you do have a ground fault downstream. First unplug everything that is plugged into that circuit and reconnect the load wires.

If that doesn't help, you're going to need to start unhooking the circuit at various places to see if you can find it. Most likely culprit if there are no actual loads is that the ground and neutrals are touching somewhere. Inspect each box to make sure that isn't happening. I'd almost always start with the exterior receptacles. They tend to take a lot of abuse and water.

o
RE: gfi switch won't reset

Newer GFCIs wil not reset without power being supplied to them.

Mae sure the breaker is on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here