Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Help---Outlet stopped working!

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

We have a 20 year old, 200amp Colonial with 200amp service. Our sunroom has a celing fan, a porchlight and an outlet directly below the porch light. All Winter an illuminated Santa was plugged into the outlet on a timer and worked fine. My wife went to plug a radio in and noticed the outlet no longer works. I verified this. I see no breakers to reset. As far as I know all other outlets are working. I know of no GFI switches to go and reset? Any ideas what could have happened or what I should do? The lights (porch and ceiling fan) both still work. The outlet on the other side of the wall (directly in back of the one in question) works too.

Comments (10)

• kurto
    16 years ago

Are you sure there are no ground fault outlets that have tripped? Depending on when they were installed, it could be in the basement, the garage, the kitchen or maybe even a bathroom.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

not that I know of...I will go through the house again. If there is one it must be in a place where we are not missing the power it provides. I looked outside the home and by the fuse panel and in each bath and kitchen. I will check the garage but do not recall seeing any there. The switch plates in the kitchen have a 'Ground Fault protected stciker on them...does that mean there has to be on esomewhere in the house?

• joed
    16 years ago

Is the receptcle possiblely controlled by a switch? If not then you need to start opening boxes on the circuit and looking for a bad connection. It could be in the bad receptacle or in any working device or box on the same circuit.
    If your receptacle are using the pushin connections onthe back move them to the screws. Back stab connection are a very common source of this problem.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found the GFI reset..it was in the garage. I guess its the only one in the house. I really do not understand how all this works. In the kitchen there are stickers that say GFI protected...does that have anything to do with the one in the garage...I guess not since they all worked. Maybe they are protected in the fuse panel? Possibly the garage gfi just protects garage and outside outlets?

• kurto
    16 years ago

Quite frequently all outside outlets are covered by a single outlet located in a garage or basement (as you have found). To be to code, the kitchen countertops cannot share this circuit. Since they're marked as "protected", they might be on ground fault circuit breakers located in the panel. You mention "fuse box", but I'm assuming that you actually have circuit breakers.

• joed
    16 years ago

I would try and find the one for kitchen now. Push the test button to confirm. That way when the kitchen ones go dead you have a place to start your search.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes fuse box. I did find somefuses in the panel with a test button. Thanks for the assistace!

• kurto
    16 years ago

Not to argue a point, but I have never seen a fuse-based ground fault interrupter. I suppose it's possible, but.... Is there a make and model on this fuse box (usually on a sticker inside the door)?

• bus_driver
    16 years ago

At one time, circuit breakers were available that fit in an Edison base plug fuse holder. The breaker projected out from the panel a bit. The reset button was in the middle of the unit. If a panel door closed and depressed the button, the circuit would then be open. Leaving the door ajar was the solution. Normal disconnecting was a matter of unscrewing the unit. That may be what is in the panel described above.

• kurto
    16 years ago

Bus, thanks for the info. I think I've seen a couple of those breaker/fuses. But I've never seen one that incorporates ground fault protection. At this point, I'm just curious, because you learn something every day.