Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_g_gw

Decora or Toggle or?

mark_g
14 years ago

I would appreciate feedback on what kind of switches and receptacles to use--both from aesthetic as well as functional perspectives.

The Decora switches are beginning to look a little dated to me (maybe b/c that's what we have been living with for the past 15 years), and I want to get away from something that screams 1980s.

I look at pictures of high-end builds and seem to see a lot more toggle-style switches and receptacles these days -- wonder if that decision was b/c of more classic styling, cost, or?

We're building and Arts & Crafts bungalow and I thought about pushbutton-style, but they're not really available in all the configs that we need.

Is there anything new worth considering?

Thanks for feedback! --Mark

Comments (14)

• joed
    14 years ago

That's personal choice. Electrically they all the same.

• dim4fun
    14 years ago

Depending on budget there are new styles to consider and maybe a fresher cleaner look.

For plain switches and dimmers browse the Lutron and Leviton websites to see if anything catches your eye. Leviton has the Acenti family that is definitely different. Lutron's designer devices, especially with screwless plates look cleaner than regular Decora and come in a score of colors. Leviton and others have screwless plates also. The Lutron plates are a bit easier to fit other devices like volume controls into.

If you have the budget for a lighting control system then you have lots of options for a fresh and cleaner look because you can hide all of the switches and dimmers out of site and use keypads which reduces the space on the wall down to a 1 gang or maybe a 2 gang plate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron

• globe199
    14 years ago

I've installed a bunch of Decora devices in my home lately. I still really like the look. I only use white. I think they look especially nice on a newly-painted wall.

The only caveat I have is with the switches, and it's a functional one. I prefer toggle switches if it's just inside the room entrance. To me it's a more natural movement to hit the switch with the side of my index finger than to turn my hand over 180 degrees and press in (as with the Decora rocker-style switches). But if the switch is on the middle of the wall, and not around a corner, I use the Decora switches.

As far as new construction, I'd bet the reason you see more toggles is because they're cheaper...that, and probably 99.9% of people don't notice and don't care. To me, the Decora devices give the room a nice finished look with attention paid to detail.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

IMO the Decora style is flatter and less distracting so for Kitchen Remodel changed from small toggle to Decora. Very happy. The change to the outlets that are flat has a nicer look.

If you do something new then you can run into problems getting every kind of control in the same style and a desirable look, e.g. Dimmer, Mag LV Dimmer, fan speed control, double switches. If you're not doing white then mixing makers the colors do not always match. The Lutron Lt Almond is very different. If you go with something new or unique you then make it difficult to change or repair without a special order. I was going to get Lutron in a Satin color but was worried it would be a hassel to get everything, and future hassels changing.

I like the Pass & Seymour Spec Grade Decora stuff. They have many interesting Decora products. It's the main line sold at Menards, and a little of it at HD. Both can special order the full product line. They make a screwless cover plate that I did not like the fit, plus color match of LA was not good.

• scottys
    14 years ago

Hi Mark,

Recently had renovations done I have to agree with you about the decora switches and outlets...the electrician installed them and i had him come back and take them out and replace them with traditional outlets and toggle switches. The decora's looked completely late 1980's or early 1990's and the larger surface area of the swiches tends to bring your eye to them even more. the toggle switches are classic looking and discreet at the same time.

• liajayasmith
    3 years ago

I dislike toggles. I have switched every outlet and light switch to decora style. I did most by myself

• Hello Kitty Lover Man
    3 years ago

Opes, Mark, I just noticed (by rereading after being notified of a new reply) that I should have sent a separate reply for what Scotty S down here said. I completely forgot to address Scotty for the 2nd half of my reply, so it kind of looks like I was talking to you the whole time, when I actually meant for my 2nd and 3rd paragraphs to be replying to Scotty. But I can't edit or even delete it now, unfortunately. This forum is too restrictive that way.

• Hello Kitty Lover Man
    3 years ago

So to continue on: Scotty S., what I just said in my reply above with the 3 paragraphs, those lower 2 are for you. What would you say?

And I also just thought to ask you this: 1970s and 1960s may be more classic, but they're still more dated, since that's the older style. That's why I said the toggles scream 1970s and 60s. what if they're more classic, then?

• mtvhike
    3 years ago

Many of the newer technology switches and receptacles (automatic dimmer, GFCI receptacles) are only in the Decora style, so if you have those, visual consistency would point to using Decora.

• Dylan Thornton
    2 years ago

Why anyone is reaponding to a post from 11 years ago is beyond me, but in response to ’Hello Kitty Lover Man’, indeed you are correct that chronologically toggles long precede Decoras, Mark’s ’dated’ comment referring not to their relative ages, but rather, and quite correctly, to the preponderance of Decoras in every level of home build once they gained widespread embrace in the 80’s, giving them an almost generic look. Think a late 80’s spec home with vaulted ceilings, lots of beige, plush carpets and the oh so modern new style of light switches!

Ugh.

This is not even mentioning the terribly unsatisfying ’click’ in all but the most expensive of Decoras in contrast to standard toggles.

But it’s a matter of personal taste/style. We live in a 1910 bungalow, and i’m on the fence, though leaning ever so slightly back to toggles due to the age of our house and our mix of modern and older styles.

But to be certain, before you rate someone out for your misunderstanding of how they might perceive things, try to read a little deeper before responding.

• Frank Gates
    last year

In response to Hello Kitty Lover Man, your comments are not helpful in any way! Maybe try better. The reply from Globe199 is probably the most helpfull and I agree with 100%. When entering a room, its much easier to ”flip” a toggle switch than press a Decora switch. The Decora switches do look nice and smooth on a flat wall, say a kitchen backsplash or entering into a hallway. Flipping a switch is easier if you have an arm full of groceries or laundry. I have a mix of toggles and Decora type switches/plugs for a few reasons, functionality, preference, location, and the fact that most smart switches are geared toward Decora type cover plates. Hope my opinion helps somebody.

• mtvhike
    last year

What about these?

• Frank Gates
    last year

theres a company thay makes those old pushbutton switches. Id like them but they don't really go with my decor.