Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice for a combination service electrical entrance

Posted by rlrobinhood (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 0:05

Hi all,

First post !!

Anyways, I live in the country and have an old farm house with 70A service. I am going to upgrade to 200A service and am currently in the planning phase. I have an electrician friend that is going to help me, but is currently out of the country till this summer. So, I thought I'd get most of the planning out of the way while he's gone and educate myself in the process.

So, to start things out.... I have my house, a detached garage/shop, and would like the ability to add some outdoor cirtuits in future (ie yard light, maybe a pond pump, maybe christmas lights, etc...). I'm currently not blowing any circuits and my load calculations indicate that I'm probably just under 70A usage right now, at the max. But, I'd still like to build out.

With this being said, I figure I'll put a pole mount combination meter base. I'd like to have a 200A main disconnect which would feed two 200A breakers (one for the house, one for the shop), and the ability to add some other outdoor circuits down the road. I'll be re-running new/upgraded feeders for the house and the shop to support this additional amperage.

But, I cannot find combination meter base (I have no preference if the meter is separate) that will support the main 200A disconnect with the two 200A sub-breakers. Why is this and what am I missing?

I know the response I'll probably recieve is that I wouldn't be able to fully utilize the 200A in both the house and shop at the same time, and I recognize this. But I also don't want to limit myself and the main 200A disconnect should protect me anyway. I also know a response may be, "What in the heck would you need 200A in the shop for?" And again, I'd rather over build than under build. In the shop I have welders, plasma cutters, iron workers, etc. Also, I feed four grain bin dryers from it as well.

So, help me out. Can you suggest a product or, am I missing the boat here?

Thanks a million.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice for a combination service electrical entrance

First question, did you contact the power company. Most of the ones I've dealt with have a single page as to what they expect for a meter base. Some don't care, some have specific things in mind.

Why are you wrapped around having a combination?
I don't know why you can't find a combination. SquareD makes a combo with 8 spaces in both QO and HOMELINE. GE makes them as well.

No problem with running 200A both places, just means you spend a little more on the bigger wiring in the feeders.

o

Good luck finding a plug in 200A breaker to fit a combo panel. Use a 400A meter base and two 200A disconnects instead.

o

The QO 2P 200A breaker takes four slots but will fit into their combo panel.

o

The QO 2P 200A breaker takes four slots but will fit into their combo panel.
I believe you will find the mfg limits any breaker attached to the bus to 100 or 125A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here