Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed Lighting - is this to code?

Posted by pokipoki (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 0:01

I went to replace a bulb in the recessed fixture. When I removed the cover, the socket was just hanging. It was not mounted in anyway to the can. I checked other fixtures, others either have a socket at the top with a extension for the bulb or the socket is on a adjustable bracket on the side of the can.
The bulb was just sitting of the cover. The other issue was that there is exposed wires and the casing around the wiring is brittle and looks burnt. The socket is dead. House is less than a year old. The contractor is coming out to fix.

The hanging socket can't be to code, is it?
What should I make sure the contractor does about the wiring?
I want to be prepared for any excuses the contractor may have and I don't want him to do just a patch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed Lighting - is this to code?

Those metal clips on the side of the ceramic part are supposed to catch the edges of the reflector. They may need to be bent a little to get them to securely hold the lamp holder. Discolored wiring isn't too uncommon (or unsafe), if it's really charred it will need to be replaced.

o

Thanks, The clips are too short to reach the sides and still be stable. I did notice a slot in the side of the can. I guess I will make sure they put a socket that mounts to the side.

o

On that style of fixture the lamp clips into the trim. This is normal.

o

I was checking other fixtures that have the same type of socket and this one is still working but the white wire is discolored and the black looks melted. Should I be worried about this or the whole lighting job?
Out of the 20 or so fixtures only 3 where installed with this free hanging socket (the clips on the side are too short to clip on on anything at the right height)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Fixture Photo

o

what size bulb do you have in there versus the rating of the fixture?

o

The Bulb is a 50W PAR20. The writing on the inside of the can says Max 50W PAR20/R20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here