Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebiker

30 amp breaker okay for this double oven?

ebiker
14 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen.

We are replacing the existing single wall oven with a double wall oven. Currently 10ga wiring feeds the oven with a 30 amp breaker at the box. 240V single phase.

Question: an Electrolux double oven we are considering has the following specs:

Power Source:

Total Connected Load: 8.0 kW @ 240V / 6.0 kW @ 208V

Other Requirements: 40 amp grounded outlet

Max. Amp Load: 29,33

Ratings: UL rating

Power Source: Electric

Since the max amp load at 240V is 29 amps, wouldn't my existing 30amp breaker and existing 10ga wire suffice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux double oven

Comments (8)

• tim45z10
    14 years ago

Follow the manufacturers recommendations. Why risk it.

• joed
    14 years ago

No big enough. You need a 40 amp circuit.
    8.0 Kw @ 240 volts is 33.333 amps.
    The specs should include a circuit size if read further.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Other Requirements: 40 amp grounded outlet "

Equipment must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

• bigbird_1
    14 years ago

"Other Requirements: 40 amp grounded outlet"

Is the oven 120V/240V, or just straight 240V? That will determine if you need 8/3 or 8/2 cable.

• ebiker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! The specs from that Sears site are backwards it looks like. It certainly would be 33 amps at 240v, so a 30 amp breaker won't work.
    I wish we could run 8ga wire to the oven location, but it's not a possibility. Sure would open up more double oven options for me!

In my shopping, I'm still surprised that some specs call for a 40amp outlet, even though the calculation of max Amps (Watts divided by Volts) equals less than 30 amps. (ie some ovens are max rated at 6700 watts @ 240v = 28 amps, but the specs still call for a 40 amp outlet.) Is there something I'm missing here?!
    I don't want my 30amp breaker tripping all the time if I'm miscalculating, but it would sure be nice to have some other oven options than what I'm currently looking at.

• Billl
    14 years ago

There is a safety "fudge" on electrical rating of 20%. If you are over 80% of the usage rating, they round up to the next standard size. You don't want to put anything on a circuit that is going to continually push right up to the limit.

"I wish we could run 8ga wire to the oven location, but it's not a possibility"

Not sure why you say this, but where there is a will (and some money) there is a way.

• joed
    14 years ago

Normally there is a minimum 40 amp circuit installed for a stove. Only a separate cooktop or separate oven will use a 30 amp circuit. Combine them into a range or double oven and you will need the 40 amp circuit.