Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
30 amp breaker okay for this double oven?

Posted by ebiker (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 23:49

We are remodeling our kitchen.
We are replacing the existing single wall oven with a double wall oven. Currently 10ga wiring feeds the oven with a 30 amp breaker at the box. 240V single phase.
Question: an Electrolux double oven we are considering has the following specs:
Power Source:
Total Connected Load: 8.0 kW @ 240V / 6.0 kW @ 208V
Other Requirements: 40 amp grounded outlet
Max. Amp Load: 29,33
Ratings: UL rating
Power Source: Electric

Since the max amp load at 240V is 29 amps, wouldn't my existing 30amp breaker and existing 10ga wire suffice?

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux double oven

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 30 amp breaker okay for this double oven?

Follow the manufacturers recommendations. Why risk it.

o

No big enough. You need a 40 amp circuit.
8.0 Kw @ 240 volts is 33.333 amps.
The specs should include a circuit size if read further.

o

"Other Requirements: 40 amp grounded outlet "

Equipment must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

o

"Other Requirements: 40 amp grounded outlet"

Is the oven 120V/240V, or just straight 240V? That will determine if you need 8/3 or 8/2 cable.

o

Thanks for the feedback! The specs from that Sears site are backwards it looks like. It certainly would be 33 amps at 240v, so a 30 amp breaker won't work.
I wish we could run 8ga wire to the oven location, but it's not a possibility. Sure would open up more double oven options for me!

In my shopping, I'm still surprised that some specs call for a 40amp outlet, even though the calculation of max Amps (Watts divided by Volts) equals less than 30 amps. (ie some ovens are max rated at 6700 watts @ 240v = 28 amps, but the specs still call for a 40 amp outlet.) Is there something I'm missing here?!
I don't want my 30amp breaker tripping all the time if I'm miscalculating, but it would sure be nice to have some other oven options than what I'm currently looking at.

o

There is a safety "fudge" on electrical rating of 20%. If you are over 80% of the usage rating, they round up to the next standard size. You don't want to put anything on a circuit that is going to continually push right up to the limit.

"I wish we could run 8ga wire to the oven location, but it's not a possibility"

Not sure why you say this, but where there is a will (and some money) there is a way.

o

"There is a safety "fudge" on electrical rating of 20%. If you are over 80% of the usage rating, they round up to the next standard size. You don't want to put anything on a circuit that is going to continually push right up to the limit."

You are only allowed to use up to 80% of a circuits load continuously (except for some vary narrow restrictions).

An oven is a continuous load since it can pull its full rated power for an indeterminate time.

A 30 amp circuit cannot supply a single load of more than 24 amps.

A 40 amp circuit is limited to 32 amps.

o

Normally there is a minimum 40 amp circuit installed for a stove. Only a separate cooktop or separate oven will use a 30 amp circuit. Combine them into a range or double oven and you will need the 40 amp circuit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here