Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to using thhn/emt

Posted by ststewartdvm (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 23:24

Thanks for any help. I have been reading the NEC and have passed my county's homeowner's exam to get my permit. I am going to be adding a sub and circuits to my attached garage. I need to do surface mount for the new circuits b/c of the time and trouble to redo the drywall already up. I therefore will be using EMT and THHN for my job. I understand that the conduit is attached to a set screw connector and the fitting goes into the junction box/panel and is locknutted to secure the conduit/connector into place. I will be running a separate grounding conductor. Is there some sort of bushing/clamp that has to be used inside the set screw connector for protection of the wires as it comes out of the connector? Also does the THHN have to be clamped in any way like Romex has to be clamped as it comes into a box?
No one seems to say anything about a bushing, so I think it's not needed, but I don't want to miss something so obvious that no one talks about it either.

Thank you very much,

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to using thhn/emt

The code requires bushings for #4 wire and larger. You may consider it for smaller wires. There are actually connectors that have the bushing integral.

There's no need for most wiring to be internally clamped at the box. The clamp on the NM is to keep it from exiting the box because there's nothing else potentially holding it.

o

If I could offer a bit of unsolicited advice, bending EMT is as much art as anything else and the best results are obtained through practice, lots of practice. When you buy your supplies, a few extra sticks of pipe might save you a second trip to the hardware store.

If you mount your pipe flush to the wall, you'll need to bend an offset at the end of the run where it enters the box. They do sell clamps that hold the pipe the correct distance off the wall as to eliminate the need to bend the offset.

Just a thought.

o

Make sure you ream the inside of the emt after you cut it so as not to scar the insulation on the thhn.

o

Thank you for all the replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here