Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zig10

2 Ceiling Fans on Single Wall Switch

Zig10
12 years ago

Hi - I am replacing my Casablanca rotary wall switches (4 speeds) for my Casablanca ceiling fans (with pull chain). I have ordered several Lutron 1.5 Amp toggle switches with 3 speed slider to replace throughout the house.

My issue is: in one room, there are 2 ceiling fans (without lights) controlled by a single wall switch. Each fan is 0.9 Amp for a total of 1.8 Amp. As stated above, the new switch is 1.5 Amp. The old switch I'm taking out is 1.6 Amp and controls both fans. With the old switch in place, the fans run very slowly on the first 3 speed settings. They seem to run as expected on the highest setting.

My question is: What results can I expect if I replace the old switch with the new Lutron, 1.5 Amp? Safety concerns? I have spoken with Lutron - they suggest using a 5 Amp variable speed switch. However, I've heard these cause a humming noise, and I'd like my fan switches to be consistent throughout the house (appearance).

Note: The ceiling fans and wall switches are approximately 20 years old. I suspect the switches are worn out as they don't respond well sometimes.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to go ahead and use the new 1.5 Amp switch so it matches the rest of the fan switches.

Thanks!

Comments (2)