Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diesel generator - AC vs. DC?

Posted by doofus (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 22:53

Our new generator has outputs for both 110V and 240V AC as well as 12V DC.

Is any of those "primary" or the preferred, while the others are converted from the first one?

In other words, suppose a hypothetical device could use both AC or DC -- what should I connect it to? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diesel generator - AC vs. DC?

Either AC is "primary". DC is converted.

The AC likes to be balanced. I.e. A 240V motor will pull the same amps from each 120V leg, good. Plug one 120V cord into the gen and load everything on it, bad. Spread the 120V loads evenly between all the receptacles, good.

Available DC is only 8.3 amps. That's only 100 watts.

This post was edited by glennsparky on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 5:40

o

The DC is very limited. They put it there primarily for ancillary purposes like charging the batteries to start the thing.

If you want to get the rated power out of that thing you're going to need to plug your loads into the L14-30R (round four pin thing) on the generator. The regular 110 outlets are both connected to the same leg and are limited to 20A.
(total).

o

The DC is derived from the AC just like a car battery charger derives DC from the AC input. There is basically a half-wave or full-wave rectifier in there. Which means there is a lot of ripple on that DC. It's only good for charging batteries. But it is not a smart charger by any means.

o

Hi, Before you decide on AC or DC you better check the voltage.
Woodbutcher

o

doofus, other than charging a battery, what would you possibly use the DC for in a home???

o

The regular 110 outlets are both connected to the same leg and are limited to 20A (total).

Thank you, ronnatalie, for this particular bit. But how do you know about this? Is this just how generators normally are, or do you have one like this? I could not find much information about the layout in the manual...

It would've certainly made more sense to me, if the two outlets were each attached to a separate "leg" " to allow better load-balancing with fewer wires...

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: User manual for Powerland's PDU6500E generator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here