Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
getting a shock at the sink

Posted by peonyfan (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 21:48

I don't know anything about electric wiring. In our new 1960s house (we've not moved in yet as we'll be doing renovations) we've used the bathroom sink at least a dozen times. My husband has gotten shocked at it twice. At first he thought he hit his funny bone because he was leaning on the vanity with his forearms while washing hands. Then it happened to him later that day, but after that wasn't able to repeat the problem and even thought he might have been imagining it. I'd been using it without a problem, but today, I shocked myself (these are slight shocks, enough to cause a tingle in the hands). I wondered if I could repeat it. I was wearing running shoes and was cleaning off some plastic eye protection. I turned off the intercom radio and tried again. I was able to repeat the problem. I turned off the only light that was on nearby. I was able to repeat the problem. After this, we decided not to use that sink anymore and wonder what the problem is. We are in the planning phase of our kitchen remodel and are doing things like taking out carpet now. We'll be having someone come to upgrade the electrical panel and do some lighting, later but I wonder if there is anything we should know about this problem and if just not using the bathroom is good for now. We are not planning on remodeling that bathroom, except to paint. Our home inspector said the electrical panel was old but 200 amps and in pristine condition.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: getting a shock at the sink

Could be dangerous...or not. Take a look at this thread and then maybe get an electrician involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet has current


 o
RE: getting a shock at the sink

Use an extension cord plugged into a grounded outlet.

Measure form the ground of the cord to the faucet, drain, etc.

A failed electric water heater element is a common cause of leakage voltage on the water supply lines, and the drain lines are often well grounded if metal pipe was used.


 o
RE: getting a shock at the sink

do you have an electric water heater? where is it installed?


 o
RE: getting a shock at the sink

getting a shock around water is nothing to mess around with.


 o
RE: getting a shock at the sink

"i think this current should be comes from you other electrical equipments those installed in your kitchen just like water geezer, electric toaster etc. you must recheck your kitchen wiring."

\Not very likely if you are not touching them and the faucet or a metal sink at the same time.

A broken water heater element is notorious for causing problems like this.

The current flow is way below the typical 30 amps of the water heater circuit breaker.
It is very possible for an otherwise working electric water heater element to electrify the water.

Unless you want to try hit or miss repairs, figuring out what is actually electrified is a good first step.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here