Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smilier

getting a shock at the sink

smilier
13 years ago

I don't know anything about electric wiring. In our new 1960s house (we've not moved in yet as we'll be doing renovations) we've used the bathroom sink at least a dozen times. My husband has gotten shocked at it twice. At first he thought he hit his funny bone because he was leaning on the vanity with his forearms while washing hands. Then it happened to him later that day, but after that wasn't able to repeat the problem and even thought he might have been imagining it. I'd been using it without a problem, but today, I shocked myself (these are slight shocks, enough to cause a tingle in the hands). I wondered if I could repeat it. I was wearing running shoes and was cleaning off some plastic eye protection. I turned off the intercom radio and tried again. I was able to repeat the problem. I turned off the only light that was on nearby. I was able to repeat the problem. After this, we decided not to use that sink anymore and wonder what the problem is. We are in the planning phase of our kitchen remodel and are doing things like taking out carpet now. We'll be having someone come to upgrade the electrical panel and do some lighting, later but I wonder if there is anything we should know about this problem and if just not using the bathroom is good for now. We are not planning on remodeling that bathroom, except to paint. Our home inspector said the electrical panel was old but 200 amps and in pristine condition.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz