Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drguitar

Hot Tub Wiring

DrGuitar
13 years ago

I wired my hot tub with 1 inch Liquid Tight flexible conduit out of the load center and routed it out the wall then along the side of the house where I then connected it to PVC conduit which then connects to the disconnect and the hot tub...my question is ...is the Liquid Tight OK for exterior applications? It is above ground behind some shrubs..I used the correct couplings to join it to the PVC conduit yet NEC says it may only be used up to 10 feet out of the load center..the PVC runs above ground until it turns the corner then goes underground and comes up to feed the disconnect and stays underground the rest of the way

Comments (11)

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Are we talking about the LFNC (the non metalic kind)? If so, you can not use it in most applications more than six feet. Further, it needs to be rated for outdoor use (most of it is). Furhter, you can use either LFNC or LFMC in places that might be subject to physical damage. Hopefully this PVC is a listed Sched 80 as well?

• DrGuitar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no it is LFMC and it is rated for burial according to its labeling as to the PVC it says above or below ground but could not determine the schedule bc it is obscured by PVC cement

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

There's no length limitation on LFMC as long as it's properly supported. You can use it outside if listed for SUNLIGHT (most are these days, it will be printed along with the other stuff on the jacket).

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

For an outdoor spa installation the LFMC is limited to 6' total.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

That requirement refers to the flexible connection between the spa and whatever it's connected to. You have to read the ENTIRE clause.

(A) Flexible Connections. Listed packaged spa or hot tub equipment assemblies or self-contained spas or hot tubs utilizing a factory-installed or assembled control panel or panelboard shall be permitted to use flexible connections as covered in 680.42(A)(1) and (A)(2).

(1) Flexible Conduit. Liquidtight flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted in lengths of not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) external to the spa or hot tub enclosure in addition to the length needed within the enclosure to make the electrical connection.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

That must be NEC2011.
    The 2008 reads as such:

(A) Flexible Connections. Listed packaged spa or hot tub equipment assemblies or self-contained spas or hot tubs utilizing a factory-installed or assembled control panel or panelboard shall be permitted to use flexible connections as covered in 680.42(A)(1) and (A)(2).

(1) Flexible Conduit. Liquidtight flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted in lengths of not more than 1.8 m (6 ft).

So under the 2008 it is six feet TOTAL.
    Under 2011 (I assume) it is six feet outside the spa.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Either way, it's talking about the connection to the SPA itself, not some piece of conduit elsewhere in the branch circuit.

• DrGuitar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so what I have is 20 feet of liquid tight from load center to the PVC then another few feet from where the PVC comes up out of ground into the cabinet of the hot tub
    is this within code?

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

My original statements were discussing the piece between the panel and the run of PVC conduit. In my opinion, the quoted passages above do not apply that piece. If it is indeed sunlight-rated LFMC and properly supported, there's no length limitation for that use.

If there is a piece of LFMC or LFNC connected to the spa directly, that piece is limited to six feet. The only disparity is that the new code clarifies the ambiguity that they're only talking about the length that's outside the spa cabinet itself. That code isn't yet in effect most places, but you could probably make a good argument to your local inspectors that it indicates what the intent of the earlier code versions was.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

In this rare instance I will disagree with ronnatalie. I read this as six feet total in the run.

Best bet is to check with your local inspector.

• DrGuitar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies..I agree the code is hard to understand ..well I still have 20 feet of Liquid Tight from panel to PVC connection then another 4 feet or so from PVC connection through the hot tub cabinet to the control board..it was easier than hard piping it the whole way (for me anyways)..the Liquid tight is supported inside my house but it is just laying along the ground outside the exterior wall but behind a large hedge where it then is coupled to the PVC..