Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propane Generator Brands

Posted by lucasbuck (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 20:13

We're looking for a stationary backup generator in case of occasional power outages on a new home build. We don't have them that often, but it seems easier than a portable generator we'd have to wheel around than just having one wired in.
I've been reading different reviews and they seem all over the place when it comes to manufacturers. As I mentioned, we wouldn't need anything huge, but want it reliable and that will last. Any suggestions or opinions on brands? Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propane Generator Brands

I've had a larger Generac (80KVA) running off propane for about four years or so without problems.

o

Since this is a new home build, make the choice now as to how much load you intend to back up. As in, everything or just some emergency circuits (lights, fridge, sump pump, well pump, furnace blower, etc).

Generac (the large equipment), Kohler and Onan are names one hears often.

o

Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on running the whole house, just some emergency backup. It's usually not out that long in this area. From what I read Generac used to be very good but then switched to overseas manufacturing and that the quality has went down. Not sure if that is true or not.

o

The malignment of Generac belongs to the line of portable generators they bought from another company. The stationary stuff is pretty good.

o

Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here