Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AFCI Problem update.

Posted by kingmer (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 19:53

Update to AFCI problem....

So, I identified the receptacle that had the main run from room to main panel box, it had the one input from the main panel and two outgoing lines to each side of the room...(All three wire 12 gauge yellow jacket)

First step: Disconnect all but the main run to the one receptacle.....

1) Fantastic, it works, no tripping even under heavy ac motor load.

2) Hook up first branch....it works! even under heavy load....so the main run and one branch are A-OK.

3) Hook up second branch, put load, POP breaker opens.

4) Disconnect every receptacle in series then hook them up until failure...First receptacle...fine...second, POP under load!

5) The second receptacle branches twice more, disconnect
branches so only link between first and second receptacle...POP under load

Now the sad news, the connection between first and second receptacle on the problem branch is 12 gauge romex that travels at least 15 feet, up and over a door...

NOW WHAT!?!!?! I have identified the problem link, but man, how do i pull a new cable through? Tear out dry wall? Do I have any options here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AFCI Problem update.

First receptacle works fine and second pops the breaker.

Disconnect second receptacle but leave wire hooked to first receptacle that goes to second receptacle. Turn on juice to see if breaker still pops with line attached and second receptacle detached. Attach a load to the bare wires and see if that pops the breaker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here