Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Junction box question

Posted by wtondu (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 19:53

In my motorhome I have a standard sized junction box (with cover) that has three 12/3 AWG romex runs in it. All three are wires are tied together - three grounds together, three white together and three black tied together with Wire nuts. All are 120V feeds.

I need to install another junction box adjacent to this one with an electrical outlet. I want to add a 12/3 nomex run from the existing junction box to the new junction box / outlet.

My question is can I splice a fourth 12/3 wire in the original junction box? Do I just need to use next size up wire nuts? There is room in the box. What is the proper way to splice 4 12/3 AWG wires? Should I even have four leads in a box at all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Junction box question

What you have are 12/2 cables (if you are positive they're not 14/2) The ground wire does not count as a conductor in classifying this cable.
There are many 'standard' sizes of junction boxes. You'll need to know the volume of yours.
For #12 conductors, you need 2.25 cu in of box volume for each conductor. (For #14, it's 2 cu in) You currently have 7 conductors (only one of the grounds count) and want to increase it to 9.

o

Assuming the junction box is big enough, what's the proper way to connect the wires? Just use a bigger wire nut?

o

Wire nut allowed combinations are printed on the side of the 100 box of Ideal wire nuts.

o

Or you can use this, courtesy of our fine friends at Ideal Industries

Here is a link that might be useful: Listed Wire Combinations

o

Or you could try the push-in connectors on page 15 of the catalog below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideal Push-In Connectors

o

"Or you could try the push-in connectors on page 15 of the catalog below."

Wait till you see the price per connective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here