Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Name that switch

Posted by gblentz (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 19:28

I've been banging my head trying to remember the name of a certain type of switch. It typically consists of three or more push-buttons, usually arranged one right after the other in a tight ganged configuration. Here's the key: when you push a button, the one that was previously down pops up, so only one switch can be closed at any given time. Help? :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Name that switch

We tend to call them radio buttons... but I don't know if that's the official term.

RE: Name that switch

I have some old pushbutton switches removed from luxury homes from the early part of the 1900s. Just two buttons, On and Off. The buttons are brass with pearl inserts in the end and the body of the switch is unglazed porcelain. But such switches were not as durable as those of today. Bulky too, really filled the box.

RE: Name that switch

You can buy modern version so what bus_driver is talking about, but that's a different description (only two buttons: ON OFF) than what was originally given.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pushbutton light switch

RE: Name that switch

Thanks guys. After posting, I realized the switch I was talking about is kind of like the type you'd find on a 10-speed Hamilton Beach blender... at least in how they mechanically function. So, I'm looking for a similar SPST switch bank with 3-5 buttons ("OFF" is not a requirement). Any thoughts?

Oh, Bus Driver, yes, I remember those switches! There was an old, old house we lived in for a year or so when I was growing up that had them. I remember getting shocks from one of them all the time! :-0 ;-)

RE: Name that switch

The term you're looking for is interlocking.
If you're not trying to switch large currents, there are lots of those around...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample of interlocking swtich

RE: Name that switch

Interlocking... yes, that's it! And it is to be a contact closure switch, so no current to speak of. Thanks!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here