Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boomerangboom_gw

CFL in dimmer. Afraid to use light now

boomerangboom
11 years ago

Ok. I'm a new young homeowner and I didn't have a clue you couldn't put CFL bulbs in a dimmer light. The light is one in the ceiling with a dimmer switch on the wall. The light takes three bulbs. Two of the bulbs were burned out so I replaced them with CFL and left one of them a reg bulb at 60w. I came in my living room and heard a buzzing noise after the light being on for a couple of hours. I immediately turned it off then turned it back on. I thought maybe the mixing of different bulbs was causing it so I removed the regular bulb and turned the light back on. The buzzing continued and I couldn't get the light to turn off. I panicked because I thought I saw it spark so I jumped up there and pulled out both bulbs and turned the dimmer to off. The buzzing stopped. I ran up to turn the breaker off but my breakers aren't labeled and I have no clue which one is which (I know very dangerous!) So do you think the fixture is usable again? I'm scared to turn it on. It should be noted that my 2 yr old had a flashlight and the "spark" i saw might have been his light hitting the light. Thanks for reading and your time!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio