Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring a vent hood with an unsheathed wire

Posted by grumpydave (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 18:03

I'm installing a new vent hood in my kitchen. It's an under-cabinet model and the cabinet above has a standard single outlet.

The hood has the black and white wires sheathed but a separate green wire unsheathed. Can I connect those wires to a three-prong plug? I assume not because of the unsheathed green wire. If not is there a simple and legal way to "sheath" them together so that I can use a plug?

If not I'm considering cutting the receptacle end off an old power cord and using wire nuts to connect it to the hood wiring inside the hood where they're accessible, then running the power cord out to the outlet. If that's no good then I guess I'll have to get some flexible conduit and hard-wire it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring a vent hood with an unsheathed wire

What do the installation instructions say? It sounds like your new vent hood wants to be hard-wired. What's not clear is why you believe you need conduit. Generally, the cable extending from the wall is long enough to make the connection inside the hood. Could you provide more details?

o

The instructions do say to hard wire. Oddly, I just found that in a separate section from the installation instructions.

What cable extending from the wall? Right now there's an outlet. The wires coming out of the hood go into the cabinet to be run to the outlet/junction box. Since these wires are accessible inside the cabinet do they not need to be run in a conduit for a hard wire installation?

o

Normally, the wire extends out of the wall, and the splice (with wire nuts) is made inside the hood. In your case, you'd need to remove the receptacle, and extend the wire. Since the junction box would still be accessible, it should be okay to have a splice there, and inside the hood. You'll need to cover the junction box with an appropriate cover with a clamp for the extending cable. Cable inside a cabinet does not normally need to inside conduit unless physical damage is likely or local codes say otherwise.

o

Other than conduit, armor-clad or metal-clad might be just fine.

o

"Other than conduit, armor-clad or metal-clad might be just fine."

AC and MC do not get all that much relief form 'likely to be damaged' damaged over NM.

Put a faceplate with a hole on the box, attach a cable clamp to the faceplate through the hole, and run the cable to the inlet box of the hood and terminate it using another cable clamp and hook the wires up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here