Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing a range hood

Posted by cjzimmer (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 17:43

This is probably pretty basic but I don't know alot about wiring and want to make sure I do it right.

I took down my old range hood which had the bare ground wire wrapped around the screw.

The New range hood has a green wire that runs somewhere but I can tell what it's attached to because it stops right at the edge of the plastic wiring box. There is a screw right on the outside of the box that I'm assuming the green wiring is attached to but the space is so small there I can't really see. This is exactly how it came from the manufacturer.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly. I'm assuming this green wire is already attached to the ground screw so I can simply screw my bare wire to the green wire with those caps and I'm good right?

I'm assuming I should trim away some of the bare wire since it's fairly long and still has the loop from where it was wrapped around the screw in the old hood.

And I know white goes with white and black with black.

Anything else I need to be aware of?

After the horrible time I had actually attaching it to the cabinets, I'm hoping this part will be easy.

Thanks so much for you help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing a range hood

"I'm assuming this green wire is already attached to the ground screw so I can simply screw my bare wire to the green wire with those caps and I'm good right? "

Yes.

Just wire nut the branch circuit ground to the equipment ground.

o

Thank You. I just wanted to make sure before I burned my house down or something. It's all hooked up and working great.

Thanks again.

o

i have three wires coming out of the wall for the range hood. one black one white and one copper looking
the copper should be the ground. i dont see a green ground screw on the old hood. where should i attach the
copper wire

o

"i dont see a green ground screw on the old hood. where should i attach the
copper wire"

Wherever it was attached before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here