Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waiving Permits but Maintaining NEC

Posted by plumeriavine (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 17:35

Thinking out loud here - -

I found something in the municipal code that says that no permits are required for anything running less than 25 volts.

However, NEC is adopted as the electrical code.

So, do you think that means that I can pay someone to wire a low voltage doorbell and we don't need a permit BUT they still need to observe NEC rules?

I'll call the city to see what they think on Monday, but I wondered how you interpret it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waiving Permits but Maintaining NEC

If you are talking specifically about a doorbell. Keep in mind they have wireless models available.

o

Would wireless models get interference from other electronics in the area?

o

"Would wireless models get interference from other electronics in the area?"

Considering the kind of luck you seem to be having with other aspects of your project, an interference issue is likely.

o

Just because a permit is not required doesn't mean the code is not applicable. An electrician that refuses to work according to the code just because nobody is watching should be sent packing.

o

Low voltage circuits are covered, but the rules are greatly relaxed for power limited low voltage circuits like doorbells and thermostat wiring.

The multiple amps of 12 V under cabinet lighting from a single large transformer do NOT meet the power limited requirements.

Higher power low voltage wiring that is concealed in walls must still use an approved wiring method.

o

Power limited - that is my new word of the day.

Are class 2 and power limited synonyms?

If you have a Class 2 transformer, then your wire still needs to be listed, right? There would be markings on the wire saying CL2? or CL3?

That wire, the CL2 wire, if it is so marked, would still need protection near studs?

o

Class 2 is one of the power limited categories.

Doorbells and thermostats usually fall into this class.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here