Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Wall Light with Dusk to Dawn Photocell

Posted by shannonplus2 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 17:17

I currently have a wall lamp on a patio that has a photocell for automatic dusk to dawn lighting. There is no brand name on the lamp. It is working fine, but the light is not bright enough. The lamp has a 60 watt maximum, and I have a 14 watt cfl bulb in it. I've switched out the bulb on occasion for a 60 watt incandescent, and that is brighter, but still not bright enough. I want a 75 watt or 100 watt light (22+ in cfl wattage). I have read several reviews of outdoor wall lamps with photocells, and many of them are bad. Can someone recommend a good manufacturer of this kind of outdoor wall lamp? I want a simple design, not a fancy one, but I am willing to pay more for quality and reliability.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Wall Light with Dusk to Dawn Photocell

In most cases a factory assembled photocell controlled light fixture shouldn't be used with a CF, because the controller never really turns the light on 100%. It also mucks about with the waveform of the AC. This can cause CFs to overheat and fail, sometimes in a rather dramatic manner.

If the fixture is suited to use with fluorescent (CF) loads, this will be stated in the installation instructions.

Your safest solution will probably be to select a good quality conventional fixture you like, and power it from a fluorescent-compatible (hard contact) photocell in a separate box.

The photocell box can be located high on the outside wall, or even on another wall of the house (best if it faces north), so it's not too obtrusive.

A photocell with suitable capacity can power more than one fixture if you like.

o

Hi Shannon,

I've experienced the same problem. My fixture is also 60 watt max but my electrician told me that the photo cell drops the current to the lamp and that is why an ordinary 60 watt bulb is not as bright. I switched to 75 watt and now it is the brightness of a 60 watt (have had no problems with overheating).
And davidr is right. The CFL's do not work well with the photocell, then again they don't work properly outside period.

o

requirement of photocell based street lighting ON and OFF control

o

Many of the photocell sensors use a Triac to switch the light on and off (the same thing as a conventional dimmer).

Even when fully on the Triac still drops a small voltage and distorts the voltage and current waveforms.

If you can find a CFL that is rated to operate on a conventional Triac dimmer it should work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here