Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baseboard heater question

Posted by first_timer (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 17:09

Hi all,
Our new house (actually new to us -- it was built in '85) has all 240V baseboard electric heat. While replacing a couple of the units, I noticed that I needed to shut off several seemingly unrelated circuits to completely shut off power to the heater and to the thermostat. It LOOKS like in all rooms, the heaters use 2 separate single-pole circuits each, one that seems dedicated to the heaters and one that is usually a general use circuit (with lights & receptacles). Is this common practice? is this safe for electronics like computers?
I noticed the lights dim when they heater kicks in.
What would fix this besides running new circuits?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baseboard heater question

Only a knowledgeable workman doing an on-site inspection can determine if your observations are correct. The arrangement that you believe you have is not at all conventional. Sounds as if it might not be to code.

o

Well, the house has presumably run like this for 25 years, so I wouldn't panic. However, that is not how you should wire a baseboard heater. It should be on a double pole breaker. That way, if anything goes wrong, both legs trip at once. In the current design, you've lost some of the protection that a circuit breaker is supposed to provide. You should upgrade the wiring as you are able to address this safety issue.

As for your electronics, you've got visual evidence that these circuits are not providing a consistent voltage to power anything on the dual use leg. You've also got some potential neutral/grounding issues depending on how the circuits are joined at the heaters. It is definitely a less than ideal operating environment for expensive electronics. They sell all sorts of surge protection/voltage regulating devices for electronics, but good ones aren't cheap.

o

I don't believe that you "... needed to shut off several seemingly unrelated circuits to completely shut off power to the heater and to the thermostat..." Your next sentence made it look like you needed to shut two.

Do a little more homework and post again. If you don't map out what is on which breaker, who will?

o

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'll call in my electrician and see if he can tell me what's going on.

It sounds a bit dodgy...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here