Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dedicated Equipment Space

Posted by ecranny (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 16:46

I am planning to install a sub-panel in my unfinished basement. The only good location for it is in violation of 110.26(F) in regard to 'foreign systems'...

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space
required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

There is a 1/2" water pipe running across the joists above where the panel will be located (parallel with the panel face), so It seems I need to install some kind of drip protection. Would I be able to use a sort of 1/2 round gutter suspended from the joists to provide the required protection, or does it need something more elaborate. I did not buy the panel yet, so if I get a weatherproof 'outdoor' panel, would that be sufficient? If so, then I could mount it directly to the concrete block wall, right (no air gap needed)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dedicated Equipment Space

No one on this board can really tell you what is acceptable in this particular situation. They intentionally leave that article open to interpretation. Only the AHJ (electrical inspector) has the power to tell you what measures you need to take that will sufficiently protect the panel from water, keep everyone safe, while satisfying the requirements article 110.26(F)(1)(a) in his opinion.

o
RE: Dedicated Equipment Space

The gutter you propose should be good enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here