Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Routing wires through masonry wall

Posted by joelbuckley (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 16:39

Is there a code-compliant way to feed wiring through a masonry wall directly into the back of a surface-mount box, e.g. for a receptacle? The wall in question is stone, and it used to be an exterior wall, but it now separates the house from a sunroom, so I'd say this is a dry location.

I know I could come out of the wall with 1/2" EMT, then elbow into the side of the box. Just wondering if there's a better/easier way. I'd like to minimize the diameter of the hole I have to drill. What about using 3/8" aluminum flex attached to a knockout on the back of the box with one of those connectors that threads into the conduit spiral? Does flex provide enough protection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Routing wires through masonry wall

You can just run NM directly into the back of the handy box using a regular box connector (4040) or a locknut connector. If there is any chance of physical abrasion of the NM then just use a short run of PVC conduit through the wall. You can always glue a male threaded adapter to the PVC and where it enters the box use a lock ring to secure the PVC.

o

Thanks, bigbird. If the conduit is just to protect against physical abrasion, then THHN in flex (or MC cable) would be ok too, don't you think? All else being equal, I'd use a PVC sleeve like you suggest, but I think the flex will go through a smaller hole than any PVC conduit will go through. That stone is tough stuff.

There won't be any significant abrasion, regardless. I'm probably over-thinking this.

o

I'd ha' pushed a short length of UF through the wall, but can see nothing wrong with these other applications.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here