Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing an aerial cable for a detached carport.

Posted by byose5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 16:21

I have a detached carport about 10 feet from my house. I'm looking to install an aerial cable to feed a receptacle and two security lights. (120V, 20A)
The nature of the landscape is such that burying the cable is not an option, but on the plus side, there's no way a vehicle could ever drive under it.

I'm curious as to how it should exit the house. (In conduit?) I can go as high as 7 feet initially. It will need to travel vertically until it reaches its required height.

What is the required height?

What kind of strain relief/connections should be employed on either end?

What kind of cable is rated for this kind of application?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing an aerial cable for a detached carport.

From the code for heights:

Overhead spans of open conductors and open multiconductor cables of not over 600 volts, nominal, shall have a clearance of not less than the following:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) � above finished grade, sidewalks, or from any platform or projection from which they might be reached where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground and accessible to pedestrians only
(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) � over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground
(3) 4.5 m (15 ft)

The point of attachment to the buildings must also be at least 10' over the finished grade.

SEVEN FEET IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT.

You're going to have to come out of the building with conduit and attach to an appropriate weatherhead or in some cases a gooseneck. UF if listed for sunlight and supported by a steel messenger would work.

o
RE: Installing an aerial cable for a detached carport.

Thanks for your response.
Sorry about the confusion regarding the 7 foot height. What I meant to say was that since I can have the cable exit the house at only 7 feet, I'll need to find a way to raise it up to the proper height before I can send it across to the carport. It sounds like a conduit with a weather-head would be the way to make that happen.

So for the messenger cable. Would I be correct that it is a steel cable that will run from the house to the carport like a guy wire?
Does that attach to the cable with U-clamps, or is there a particular way to support the cable properly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here