Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottiet_gw

how to wire undercabinet lights

dottiet
14 years ago

This is my situation: New remodel. Tile counters & backspash. New cabinets. Upper cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.I want undercabinet lighting (not halogen) for two areas- each has two cabinets side by side. I want to be able to turn each light on & off with a switch on the light fixture itself. Big point here: I do not want to have plug cords running to an outlet. I don't want to see the wires or plugs. Can I hardwire the fixtures by running the wire up into the cabinet and then out the back of the cabinet all the way to the breaker box? Is it code to have a wire running from inside a cabinet? Now, given my wants, what fixture (I'm leaning towards fluorescent) do I buy? What manufacturer or what do I look for? Are there hardwired fluorescent that have an on off switch right on the fixture? Do I need a separate wire for each fixture or can two be linked together and still be switched on separately? I also think I need electronic blasts because I want them to come on instantly & not have to hold down the switch while the light flickers. I know I'm asking alot, but I'm doing the remodel by myself (electrician will help)but I need to know where to cut the existing wallboard for the wiring.I'm planning to take off the bottom 3 feet of drywall to facilitate wiring sinc the present wall has no plugs at all. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comments (6)

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

Use low voltage (12v) lights and you can run the wiring inside cabinets, put inside a small PVC pipe chase. Or across the bottom under brown tape.

The way mine were done is pretty standard. Put an Outlet up high in the cabinet to plug in the AC-DC 12V power supply. Run the LV lights wiring to that. RUn the outlet off a switch.

The LED strip lighting is very nice and better looking then having boxes under the cabs.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"The LED strip lighting is very nice and better looking then having boxes under the cabs."

The typical power supply for 12 V under-cabs is rated at 60 watts and is less than one inch thick (often about 1.5 in x 0.9 in x 2 in).

If you can hide the light fixture you can hide the power supply.

• wg999
    13 years ago

When individual fixtures are fed with 110 into fixture, is it normal and proper to bring the romex from the wall through the back lip of the cabinet and under the cabinet, which would leave a slightly exposed piece of cable under the cabinet. i. e. from switch through back lip of under cabinet and into fixture..........thx for help

• smithy123
    13 years ago

''Usually you will then need a 15a dedicated circuit each for:
    dishwasher; fridge, hood fan (esp if this is a microwave/fan combo, in which case the requirement may be 20a) If you have a disposer it can be combined with the dishwasher circuit--but check your local requirements''
    First of all, although legal, you should NEVER!!! use 14awg for anything!!!! It is flimsy, easily overloaded, and you cannot run much of anything from it except a 13w cfl. I use only 12 awg wire with hubbell 20 amp tr (and sometimes hospital grade) receptacles. Second of all, just run a line back to the panel, put a 20a tr receptacle in the cabinet and use whatever lights u can drean of. just hide the wires in the cabinets.

• spencer_electrician
    13 years ago

14 awg wiring with 15 amp circuits is perfectly fine for lighting. Yes I prefer 20 amp circuits for receptacles but well planned out lighting circuits have no reason to need 20 amps. Who wants to make up a 4 gang box with 4 (3 way) switches with 6 12/2 cables and 4 12/3 cables coming in? Or daisy chain smoke alarms 300 ft through a house wasting wire that costs about 40 cents per ft. Not me!

A 15 amp circuit will safely hold 1440 watts of lighting. That is a bit more than one 13 watt CFL bulb. I'm all for doing things better than minimum code but you have to draw the line at what is wasting money and what is a better installation. What I don't like is all of these houses with a 15 circuit feeding all the kitchen lighting and other lighting, and then throwing something stupid on there, like the GFCI in the Garage. The circuit is already loaded with lights and adding so much as a shopvac to the load, the breaker trips.