Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Fixture or Wiring: Where is the problem?

Posted by leafy02 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 15:26

The chandelier in our dining room is not very old. Installed by previous owners so likely within the last six years.

The white "candle" parts are all singed and melty looking around the top near the bulbs. I am planning to get a new fixture because I don't like that one to start with, but I am wondering if the melting is caused by a problem with the fixture (good news) or if it's more likely to be something about too much power coming to the fixture from the wiring (bad news). Our house was built in 1969 if that matters.

Thanks for any advice!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Fixture or Wiring: Where is the problem?

It's quite possible the previous owners used lamps that exceeded the fixture's rating. Using, say, 60 watt lamps, would generate a lot more heat than 40 watt lamps and might cause the plastic to melt or discolor. Or it could simply be a cheap fixture made of cheap materials.

It's very unlikely that one fixture in the home would have too much voltage. One indication of high voltage is lamps that seem to burn out quickly. You could certainly check it a multimeter if you are concerned.


 o
RE: Fixture or Wiring: Where is the problem?

Thank you, Mike.

It may be that I myself am using the wrong bulbs, since I didn't buy the fixture, I don't know what it is rated for. I think when we bought the house, one of the candle things was scorched and now they all are.

But given what you said about lamps burning out too quickly, I think we might have that problem, too. It does seem like some of the arms of the chandelier are much more prone to burning out bulbs than others. I keep replacing the ones on one side, but not on the other. Also, the hall light burns out very quickly, even though it is rarely used. It's a pain to switch bulbs on, too, so I've pretty much just given up using it.

Times like these make me wish I had a landlord.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here