Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
footwedgeko

Some questions

footwedge
13 years ago

1. Is it allowed for a single switch install with a 14-2 in and 14-2 out to twist the grounds together leaving one longer for connection to the ground screw?

2. Is it necessary to attach both ends of a 4 gang box to studs?

3. Who makes a quality non-metallic box at a reasonable price?

TIA

Comments (6)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"1. Is it allowed for a single switch install with a 14-2 in and 14-2 out to twist the grounds together leaving one longer for connection to the ground screw?"

Not without some listed connector.

"Is it necessary to attach both ends of a 4 gang box to studs?"

No, as long as the box is solidly mounted.

"3. Who makes a quality non-metallic box at a reasonable price? "

Define reasonable.

• footwedge
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I have to pigtail?

Define reasonable.

How about at a fair price?

• daveho
    13 years ago

Use an Ideal Greenie.

The pros generally frown upon the blue Carlon boxes. I say pick a box & be done with it. It's not rocket science.

• btharmy
    13 years ago

"Use an Ideal Greenie"

Or any other wire nut for that matter. Don't go out to buy green wire nuts for just one connection. ANY listed wire nut is suitable for a ground connection. Green wire nuts, on the other hand, are ONLY listed for ground connections. That's why I don't even buy them.

• DavidR
    13 years ago

Not that I'd recommend it for most amateurs, but how about a mechanically secure, soldered and taped connection?

I'm enough of an old timer that, in my book, twisting and soldering beats any other splicing method. The twisting provides the mechanical strength. Solder reinforces the splice and seals out air.

The tape has to supply insulation value equivalent to that already on the wire.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Not that I'd recommend it for most amateurs, but how about a mechanically secure, soldered and taped connection?"

While possible to still do, it is way more work than wire nuts and other much easier approved methods.