Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
globe199

Switched outlet wiring

globe199
10 years ago

I want to have a switched receptacle (top and bottom) with the power coming first to the receptacle. Could someone please look at the first diagram in this link and let me know if it looks correct:

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/outlet-switch-electrical-diagrams.html

This is replacing some existing wiring, so do I absolutely need the 14/3 to have a neutral at the switch? Thanks for any info.

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

The diagram is fine. As it mentioned, the NEC 2011 wants a neutral at most switches. NEC 2014 has backed off from the hard requirement for some locations or if you can easily retrofit a neutral later. Do you NEED one? Not unless you want to use some fancy dimmer or timer that wants one.

You didn't say where you are at. You might be in a locality that is still NEC 2008 based or perhaps you local county/city has some local exception.

• globe199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, thanks. Do you have a diagram handy that doesn't use 14/3? In other words, just a switch loop? It's almost impossible to find this type of diagram -- mainly because I don't need a split switched receptacle. The whole thing will be switched, so it's simpler. But it's also less common.

• globe199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention: I don't need a neutral; it'll just be a standard switch.

• PRO
    Taylor Electrical Solutions, LLC
    10 years ago

14-3 is best practice with that you keep all the colors on the wires right the other way to do it is to run a 14-2 splice the I the outlet to the white ran to the switch and put the black from the switch onto the outlet an dont break any tabs on the outlet. Use the existing neutral in the outlet for the outlet. So when your done the only black on the outlet is from the switch. On the switch tie the black on one screw and the white on the other. The white is not a neutral in the switch it is now your hot because you tie it into the hots in the outlet not the neutral. The neutrals stay at the outlet at all times in this scenario.

• User
    10 years ago

For 14-2, just use the black and white as the switch loop. Put some black tape on the white wire to indicate that it isn't a neutral wire.

• globe199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@jreagan

Right, I know what to do at the switch. But how do I wire up the outlet to make both top and bottom switched?

• User
    10 years ago

The link you posted has the diagram you want. If you use the 14-2, instead of using the black/red, you'll be using the back/white-marked-with-tape pair. Power goes to the switch on the white-marked-with-tape, comes back to the receptacle on the black and connects to the darker screws.

• PRO
    10 years ago

When you install the outlet only used the wire that comes off the switch on the hot screws don't use the power from the outlet box if there was a half switch outlet there before you will need a new one. To half switc an outlet you need to break of a little tab if it is already broken you will need a new one

• globe199
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jreagan, sorry, I'm still unclear on what it looks like at the receptacle. Is it possible you could draw a diagram of it? I'd rather look at a picture and be able to conceptually understand it. Thanks.

• greg_2010
    10 years ago

Simply replace the red with the white.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

If you're installing new you should run a neutral (14-3) to the switch. That's the code now for all practical purposes.

• PRO
    10 years ago

I agree with ronnatalie on the 3 wire. But to be honest I'm not trying to be rude but if you don't understand what we are telling you, you should prob call an electrician. This is as basic as it gets in the electric field. Don't underestimate electricity it's dangerous and if your not sure you should call someone who is.