Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom418

How many Romex connectors are allowed through a connector?

tom418
12 years ago

I'm adding a multiwire circuit which I ran last week. It's time to hookup to the breaker box (GE TM2020CCU). The problem is that all of the knockouts are used on top, where my romex comes from. To preserve a "clean look" around the plywood where the box is mounted on, I'd like to enter through the top.

I noticed that the electrician passed two, sometimes even three romex cables through one cable connector. Is this allowed (three cables)? I would be adding a 14-3 to a connector that has two 14-2 cables through it.

I'm planning on adding a subpanel in the future, with this new cable added to the subpanel. Should I use one of the concentric knockouts on the side for now, and then enlarge it when I add a nipple to feed the sub panel? I will need to make a hole then anyway.

Comments (9)

• tom418
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Title should have been: How many Romex CABLES can pass through a connector! Sorry...

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Check the listing of the cable clamp.

Only one unless it is specifically listed for more than one.

• tom418
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok then, that solves that problem...
    The existing panel is crowded anyway, with almost all of the breakers being thin ones THQP series. The neutral/ground bars are getting crowded too :(

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The neutral/ground bars are getting crowded too"

Some panels are listed for more than one ground in holes in the bar.

NONE are listed for more than a single neutral though.

• tom418
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brickeye, how about one neutral and one ground in the same hole?

I noticed that the panel installer did this several times. I guess he wanted a "neat" panel, since when this was done, the neutral and its corresponding ground were in the same hole. Was that allowed?

There are numerous empty holes in the neutral/ground bars. Should I take the grounds away from holes containing neutrals and relocate them to empty holes??

And getting back to my original post: I did find one, unused knockout in the top left of the panel. It's concentric, but I was able to open the smallest opening, and used a new connector for my 14-3. That problem solved. Thanks.

• ROMEXCABLEFAN
    11 years ago

The NEC does not really address this issue. It does however detail in 110.3(B) to use UL listed or labeled products in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling. The best efforts would be to check the connector manufacturer�s listing or instructions.

ROMEX� NM Cable Enthusiast

ROMEX� is a registered trademark of Southwire Company.
    This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Brick is right in both his answers. Only one in both cases unless labeled otherwise. Frequently you'll see NM bushings that are approved for two 14-2's. Some bus bars are marked to permit multiple wires under a screw.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Some bus bars are marked to permit multiple wires under a screw."
    Only for grounds.

Check the listing.