Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of wires are these??

Posted by BennyJW (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 14:34

I opened up a 4-gang wallplate in our kitchen with blank inserts to see what's inside. The attached photo shows the wiring inside. There are about eight of these wires hand labelled A-G. Does anyone know what these are? My best guess is that that they are speaker cables. There are in-wall Polk Audio speakers in the kitchen. But these don't look like typical speaker cables that I've ever seen. The wallplate is right above the counter.

We bought the house about 2 years ago, but the house is ~80 years old so who knows when this was installed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of wires are these??

No idea. That's something the previous owner cobbled together.
That is nothing standard right there.

o

Perhaps some remote control for the audio? Do you know where the wires go to? Any other blanks around the house you haven't opened?

o

Could have been for an intercom.

o

If its In the kitchen it's prob an intercom. The main intercom box usually goes I the kitchen. The letters are prob letters to tell you which room it is.

o

It could also be what remains of an old low voltage switching system like TouchPlate or Remcon for instance. These systems used low volt wires at each switch location for the lighting, and often there was a master switch box somewhere that would control many or all of the lighting from one location. The relays were located near the electrical panel. These systems were "state of the art" and normally used in high end homes.

o

The master switch for low-voltage relay systems typically was in the bedroom. Convenient to darken the whole house at night or to turn on everything in case of suspected break-in. Having all the lights come on sure confuses an intruder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here