Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wago & Ideal Wire Connectors

Posted by globe199 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 2, 10 at 13:51

Just looking for opinions and observations (NOT a holy war) on the Wago and Ideal wire connectors.

What's been your on-the-job experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wago & Ideal Wire Connectors

I'll admit I am a convert. I have been using them on all my rough-ins and loving them!

I get only six and four port. They are literally a few pennies difference in price and cannot justify carrying four different sizes.
I use six post for anything more than a one gang box.

They are also only about 7-8 cents more than a wire nut. I can make up that many times over in time saved.

o

petey: what brand do you use?

o

I'm going to use the Ideal for my DIY rough-in. I asked my inspector if he required crimps, etc. and he said any method that's UL approved is OK. The Ideal are UL approved for grounding and bonding, which is all I will use them for.

For the 3-gang boxes I'll probably daisy-chain 4-port connectors together... two ports for incoming and outoing grounds, one port to the switch and another to the next connector... unless someone has a better idea.

I would love to see petey_racer post some pictures of his work :-)

o

I use Ideal 'cause that's what my guys carry.

Pics? Hmmmm. Maybe I can get some soon.

o

So you guys use these for hot, neutral and ground wires, correct? Do you tape them up when finished?

o

"Do you tape them up when finished?"

Why would you make a mess by taping them?

o

I do not use them for grounds. I use barrel crimps.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT tape them. That would be more silly than taping a wire nut.
Just make sure your strip lengths are right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here