Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost to Rewire?

Posted by tbroms (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 13:13

Would someone please be able to give me a very rough ballpark figure for completely rewiring a 3 unit apartment building. Building is 3 floors. 1 apartment per floor. The details:

1. Located in PA
2. Each unit is 1,000 sq. Feet
3. Each unit has living room, kitchen, bedroom and bath
4. Would need new service and meters and panels
5. Would like to do a separate 200 amp panel per unit
6. Would like to do a small 4th panel for common lights
7. Would have electric stoves and hot water tanks
8. Would want electric dryer hookups
9. Walls and ceilings will be open
10. I would demo out the old work myself

I just need to see if I can afford to buy this bulding and rewire it. Wiring hasn't been touched since the 20's!

Thanks in advance! - Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost to Rewire?

At least $5,000 for the service and panels. At least $8,000 for the units and common area wiring

o

where at in pa, near pittsburgh?

o

Thanks Spencer. Brad - Harrisburg PA

o

$8000 for three 1000 full sq/ft apartments and common areas????
Wow! I would go out of business if I had to work that cheap.

Also, with three floors did you figure in a sprinkler system?

o

Petey - I know in my city new construction needs sprinklers, but I am still trying to find out about existing construction. Any thoughts?

Also, since Spencer already quoted 5,000 for the panels, and the walls and ceilings will be open (shouldn't be much fishing) why is 8,000 so unreasonable to run wiring from the new panels to the various rooms?

o

Maybe $8K for EACH apartment...

o

Figure at a little above minimum code about 20 hours labor per apartment and $1,000 worth of material per apartment. I also was not thinking about the number of floors and what wiring method the locality requires. If EMT conduit is required, then I could see more like $6-9k per apartment.

o

This jurisdiction only requires romex. How does this change the estimate?

Tim

o

$5000 for the whole service is close IMO, not just "the panels".

I don't know. Off the cuff, $8000 to completely wire three 1000'/sq full apartments seems way low to me. I was thinking more like $15k.

My sprinkler comment was in reference to the third floor. Here in NYS sprinklers would be required.
What you are doing would be considered new construction. You are gutting and re-doing the whole building. The WHOLE building must be brought up to current code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here