Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwire a GE Slimline flourescent lamp?

Posted by biggyriggy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 12:40

Is there any good reason I can't cut the plug off and attach the wiring to a switch?

There is a label on the cord that says "Not for current interruption", but I can't think of any reason other than the plug makes sure you have the correct polarity.

Also, you think it's okay to splice wire to extend the interconnect wiring 5-6 feet?

GE 10169 Slimline 23-Inch Linkable Fluorescent
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/specialty-lighting/ge/advantage-white-slim-line-plug-in-linkable-fluorescent-under-cabinet-23-in-light-fixture-51511.html

Thanks,
Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwire a GE Slimline flourescent lamp?

Unless you can find a listing for the fixture to be permanently connected it is not allowed for that use.

Cords are not allowed to be spliced unless they are very large conductors (like #10 size).

Cordage is also not usually listed for permanent use.

o

Thanks for the reply. So if I made a switchable outlet and plugged into that, it would be kosher?

And - there is a GE direct wire junction box #24772 that says it is "for direct wiring GE's linkable fixtures into an existing electrical circuit".

But as far as I can tell, all of their linkable flourescent lamps are plug-ins. So I don't know if that would do the trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Junction Box

o

" So if I made a switchable outlet and plugged into that, it would be kosher?"

That is your best bet, I think, if you want to stay with this fixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here