Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power Panel

Posted by twlkps76 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 12:39

We will be remodeling soon and I will be doing most of the electrical myself. I will be rerunning many of the existing circuits since walls will be changing. I will also be adding a couple of circuits.

How do you know when it is time to add a sub-panel rather than crowd the existing box?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power Panel

"How do you know when it is time to add a sub-panel rather than crowd the existing box?"

Usually when there are no spare slots for new circuits in the old box.

If you have a 200 amp service in a moderate sized house it is unlikely you need more.

Circuits rarely operate at anything like there rated capacity, so additional breakers are more a convenience in not taking down the power over large areas of the house rather than anything else.

o

The next question is what rooms are you remodeling?
A living room or bedroom usually isn't a big thing, but code changes have occurred to kitchens, bathrooms, etc...

Further, you'll need to find out if the remodeling is such that they want you to bring things up to the current code which may mean things like Tamper Resistant receptacles and AFCI's.

o

I think I actually have a 400 Amp Service, two 200 Amp boxes. The house has a sauna, well, heat pump, two hot water heaters and a 240 welder outlet. Some of the breakers are about 1/2" and others are 1/4". So there is still some room.

It is the kitchen I'll be remodeling and I am paying close attention to "Code Check" in my planning along with manufacturers requirements. I will be removing two aluminum circuits, oven and cooktop. Most of the circuits I'll be able to relocate, like the two 20 amp circuits.

I was told by the permit people that I didn't have to update other areas, except the smoke alarms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here