Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over the Range outlet issue

Posted by sallyd1120 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 12:20

We are remodeling our kitchen and are moving our oven from an island to a wall counter with a microwave over the range.

There is currently an old outlet that will end up right over the oven in the backsplash tile. We would like to remove this, but also need to tie into it for the microware outlet that needs to be added.

The question is this. Can I lower the old outlet down the wall so that it will be located behind the slide in oven and not in the backsplash? Is this against code? We could then run a line down from the new microwave cabinet outlet and tie into the lowered old outlet.

PS. The oven needs 220 which we are having professionally moved, but right now we want to get the new cabinets/microwave installed and need to put in the new outlet.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over the Range outlet issue

There's not required to be any receptacle over a range. You're free to move it down or cover it (you need to leave it "accessible" if there are connections in that box).

The question is are the adjacent countertops still served adequately with this receptacle moved/removed? No point on a wall behind a countertop can be further than 2 feet from a receptacle.

o

To the right of the range is a 12" cabinet/counter top. It would not have an outlet within 2 ft. Sounds like I might have to add another outlet over that small counter?

o

To the right of the range is a 12" cabinet/counter top. It would not have an outlet within 2 ft. Sounds like I might have to add another outlet over that small counter?

o

That over-the-stove microwave/hood should be on its own circuit.

o

If it is exactly 12" or wider it needs a receptacle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here