Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

I need your advice!

bugbite
10 years ago

I finally decided to rewire my entire house because insurance companies won't insure.
I had 4 bids: $15,000, $12,000, $8,000 and $5,000.
The one I trust most is the company for $8,000.
But I decided go with a fifth company. It is a highly rated large company which charges by the hour.
He sounds like it will be a little less than $8,000. But that's not the reason I am going with him. His company is big enough to pay for any damage if a guy falls through the roof, plus he has a crew that specializes in rewiring.
Any tips on how to keep from getting ripped off. I am retired and will be home all the time. I will try to do most of the hole cutting. I already have several holes cut to speed access and know how to get to most tough locations in this 2 story house. Each day cost $520 for the crew, so an extra 2 days is $1040 extra or 2 days shaved is $1040 saved.
I am thinking of offering a bonus to the 2 workers. $200 each if you finish in 2 weeks. (Company bidding $8,000 said two weeks.) $100 each, if you slightly go over two weeks. Of course if they show they saved me a couple of days but went over I would still give them $200 extra. Are bonuses, ethical? Any other bonus ideas?

What other tips?
Thanks!

This post was edited by bugbite on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 15:25

Comments (7)