Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring on Old Appliances

Posted by DDplus (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:09

I have some old appliances (mixmaster, sewing machine, lamp) from the 60s and 70s. They all work, but how do I know if they're safe electrically?

They look to be in good shape, without any fraying or damage to the plugs or cords, but they all have the original wiring and none of them have three-prong or polarized plugs.

Does the age alone mean that these should all be rewired? Should I get an electrician to look at them to determine if they're safe, or is there some way to test them on my own? How long does wiring last before it needs to be replaced? These were really well made appliances and I would love to use them again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring on Old Appliances

If the wiring is in good condition (places to look are near the plug and where it enters (and inside) the appliance, then it's probably OK. Wiring isn't typically perishable and a visual inspection is telling.

The lack of a grounded plug also doesn't necessarily mean anything. Obviously any fraying or cracking of the cords or inadvertent shocks (other than static electricity) should be looked into. Most appliances should not have exposed metal connected to either side of the cord.

o

Thank you. What I can see of the cord is definitely sound, but I'll have to take a look at them to see if I can open them up and get a look at the inside.

o

Just be sure the Mixmaster is plugged into a GFI outlet in the kitchen and you are not standing or sitting in a puddle with the other two.

o

I guess that eliminates outdoor sewing when it's raining, darn.

We've got plenty of GFI outlets in the kitchen, and I will make sure I use one of them when using the mixer - thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here