Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is NEC specific on fastening methods for j-boxes?...

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 11:44

... i.e. does it specify size and number of nails to affix "deep" ceiling fan box to wooden rafter, allow/disallow powder-shot fasteners for attaching wet-loc box to concrete, etc.?

Are chemical anchors (i.e. epoxy, acrylic) ever allowed?

Are there pullout-test stds.?

Or is it just vague language, such as "must be securely attached"...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is NEC specific on fastening methods for j-boxes?...

Vague is a harsh word. Non-specific is more like it. Article 314 says "rigidly and securely fastened in place." It says little about how that is accomplished as long as your fasteners don't protrude more than 1/4" inside the box.

The extra stuff for ceiling fan boxes (that support the fan) has to be marked as being able to support a weight at least as much as the fan. If the box has any specific mounting requirements, then you are obliged to follow those.

Your AHJ may have specific requirements that they chose to look for, but I've never seen one that get bent out of shape over powder-actuated fasteners vs. tapcons or the like. Nails are OK in shear, I wouldn't (even if it were allwoed) use them to support a box in tension.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here