Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brusso_gw

Troubleshoot 4 way switch

brusso
12 years ago

I have four switches that control the hallway chandalier: one by yht front door, on e inthe kitchen and two at the top of the stairs. This is a real withc to use because the switches have to be set a certain way to make this light work. So, I am convinced that something is scwered up with the wiring or the switches. By setting certain switches, I can get the light to go on/off at every switch. So, I think the wiring is ok and perhaps the problem is with the switches. I have worked on three way before (two switches) but not this. This is , I guess a five way (four switches - gee even the naming is confusing). I have spent hours already trying to identify the switch combo. MY guess is that if done correctly, any switch would turn on/off just a s a normal 3 way(2 switch). How do I attack this?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

At each 4-way switch location, there are 4 "travelers" attached to the switch. 2 of the "travelers" will come from one cable and the other 2 will be from the second cable. If the switch has two dark screws, the travelers from one cable should be installed one on each of those screws. The other 2 travelers should be on the brass colored screws. See if that works. Do you have an ohmmeter for further testing if necessary?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

A four way switch setup has 3-way switches at each end of the setup and two four way switches between the 3-way switches.

The 3-way switches each have a common and two travelers.
    The 4-way switches have four travelers.

There could be a traveler on a common on a 3-way, or mixed travelers on the sides of the 4-way switches.

• brusso
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I found a reference to how 4 switches are installed. Brickeye is on taget, as usual. It is generally a set of three way switches, thenif you want to ad another, simpley add a four way switch in between and another and another etc. So, saturday's project is to dig into this and finally get it fixed correctly, i'll post an update.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Good luck.

If anything has been altered lately, check that first.

Switches do occasionally fail though.

• btharmy
    12 years ago

Check any switches that look "newer" than the others. I'm sure it worked originally. As soon as joe homeowner changes out a switch, either because it went bad or his wife wanted another color, then is when the problem starts.

• brusso
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it turned out to be one of the four way switches on the second floor. It was cracked. So, it probably did work ok at one time but hasn't worked correctly since I lived here(xx years) . The hardest part was finding a four way switch . Big Box Boy didn't know what I was talking about (anyone surprised?). Had to go to electric supply house. Took 10 minutes to install, 2.5 hours to purchase it. geesh

thanks for everyone's help.

• brusso
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, word got out in my neighborhood that I fixed the chandalier problem. Another neighbor had the same issue so my wife told him ' I would help him out'. geesh. Well first thing I noticed was that there is a dimmer switch on his switch by the front door. So, following everyone's advice I checked it out first. It was one of the three way and a previous owner installed a three way dimmer but he wired it wrong . Fixed his problem in 15 mins. Earned a six pack out of it too. Again , thanks for the knowledge.

• Jim Fagan
    6 years ago

Linesman process analysis instructions are EXCELLENT. Thank you. Took wire off a 4-way circuit and had trouble getting the wire back on the right terminals. In box 2 common as the one Without power was the detail that I was getting wrong.

• oldalaskarooms
    6 years ago

Linesman got me on the right track, to the end switch, a 3way after the 4 way. In the 3way box I have 3 conductors. 2 are black and red travelers, and a white neutral. Seems like I’m missing a hot conductor, in order to fill the three screws on the 3way, and still have a white neutral in the box. I may have to run another flex conduit from the junction box 10’ away, where I would join the hot wires there.