Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rick4343

old dryer 2-#6 & 1-#8 cable

Rick4343
11 years ago

What do I need to run a outlet for a dryer with the above listed cable ? cable type? breakers? outlet type? Thank you for any help. Rick Please note I have the dryer but I have no outlet. Nothing. Starting from the breaker box is there any way to get power to this dryer ? Thanks again. Rick

This post was edited by Rick4343 on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 11:57

Comments (14)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You are not allowed to make any changes to an old 3-wire dryer circuit.

t must be replaced with anew 4-wire circuit.
    Some AHJs will allow simple changes like moving or replacing the dryer receptacle, or even moving it a few inches a long as the old cable reaches the new location.

Others require the upgrade for ANY alteration

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

New dryers are allowed to use the old (in place) 3-wire circuit, generally.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"New dryers are allowed to use the old (in place) 3-wire circuit, generally."

But you are not allowed to modify the old circuit.

Limits set by local AHJ.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

He's not even modifying a circuit it sounds like. He wants to know if he can use some 6-2 cable he found to wire up a new dryer, and the answer is an unequivocal NO.

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

I don't think it's really clear what he's asking. One of his questions is "what cable?". If he wanted to use the cable he has, why would he ask what cable?

And I don't think we'll ever hear back from him, so there's probably no point in debating what he's trying to do.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed that he changed his original post earlier today. So maybe he will stick around to answer questions and provide more info.

This post was edited by greg_2010 on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 14:36

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

yes, looking at the original, I thought the circuit was already in place and he was dealing with a new 4-wire dryer with a 3-wire circuit.

With no circuit in place, that 6/2 wire cannot be used. He needs 6/3. He'll also need a new 4-prong outlet (somebody can list the nomenclature), and a standard 2-pole breaker of the appropriate size. And the appropriate style clamp at the breaker box and perhaps the outlet box.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

No, he needs 10/3. 6/3 is WAY overkill for a dryer.

• elltwo
    11 years ago

Nice catch, petey.

• Rick4343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am sorry if my question was unclear. So here we go, my gas dryer died and I have been given an older, but working electric dryer. There is no plate on the back listing its specs. It has a 3 prong plug, but it does not fit a "standard" dryer outlet. The only info I can glean is the printing on the "cable" of the dryer its self. Which is [ Type SR Range Cable 2 - #6 & 1 - #8 ] So with that information my questions are. Can I still get an outlet for this type of plug, or can I change the plug? What type of cable do I need to run from the breaker box? What kind of breaker(s) do I need? Or do I need to make another trip to the scrap yard? Again sorry for any mix up and thank you for your time. Rick

• Rick4343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

P.S. its still in the garage so at least I dont have to hall it back out of the basement. Rick

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

The plate specs for mine are located inside the door. You might look there.

Otherwise, if you intend to stay within the code, the 10/3 cabling should be fine. You will probably need a 30-amp breaker. You will need a 4-prong outlet and box for the wall. You should be able to replace the cord on the dryer with a 4-prong cord.

Things get a little tricky with replacing a 3-prong cord with a 4-prong cord at the dryer. I'll let others talk about this.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Most dryers made in the past twenty years have four terminals where the cord attaches with a jumper or bonding screw that bonds the case to the neutral for three wire connections.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

You can change the cord to match your receptacle, but changing the receptacle to match the cord may invoke the 'no alteration rule' in the NEC.

What size breaker is feeding the present receptacle?

That old cord sounds oversize.

Many cords use smaller conductors since they are exposed and use higher temperature insulation.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 12:46

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

What size breaker is feeding the present receptacle?

There is no present receptacle. He's doing everything from scratch. See his update on "Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 15:04" where he explains the situation.