Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outlets & Cords.Ways to hide them without an appliance garage

Posted by gwentm (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 10:59

Outlets for electrical cords are needed for so many different things in a kitchen- mostly countertop appliances and portable phones but also chargers, TVs, computers, etc. I am interested in suggestions on how best to install outlets whether in in backsplashes, under cabinets, inside cabinets and drawers, grommets.... to minimize the visibilty of both the outlets and cords. What has worked best for kitchens without appliance garages? Pictures would be a big help if you have them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outlets & Cords.Ways to hide them without an appliance garage

Unplug and put away the appliances/cords. This is what my M-I-L does.

o

First, I realize that this post does not answer your concerns. Now, could you perhaps tell me why you are apparently offended by the aesthetics of a common household power outlet? I don't even notice them, unless I have a cord in hand.

o

Some people have located a quad outlet or two in a particular kitchen cabinet. Place all chargers, etc in that cabinet. Other than that, even with plug mold you'll just have the cords hanging down. If the kitchen has a desk area for computer, phone base station, etc, put outlets below the desk with a grommet in the desk. Also place outlets above the desk for seldom use items (easier than reaching under the desk) For most back splashes, I would much rather have designer outlets on the wall than plug mold. For a stone display or glass looking tile displays, I can understand going to plug mold.

o

I realize I need to have them of course. The layout of our apartment will be very open after our renovation and the backsplash in the kitchen will (hopefully) be very striking and visible from both the DR and some of the LR. So I just want to maximize the effect.

o

Spencer Electrician, I agree totally with you about wires hanging down. But do you also have objection to plugmold if it is used in an area where the outlets are used only occassionally? Or would you still prefer electrical outlets?

o

It's fine but in terms of best use, maybe not. To plug something in, you have to bend over and look up to fit the plug. Items with transformers on the plugs (cordless phones, low voltage stuff) can easily fall out because of their weight. It does serve the purpose of meeting code however. Sometimes when people have a particular back splash where they use little electrics and hate having an outlet at all, it is a great alternative. Then it is best if an alternate counter (where you work the most) has conventional wall receptacles.

What most electricians really hate is installing it. Bad enough to plug something in. Worse to look straight up installing it for a few hours. Also requires use of a GFCI breaker or feeding it from a kitchen circuit protected by a wall receptacle GFCI.

Also with the looks, even very elaborate back splashes usually look fine with receptacles. Just get the correct color (white, almond, ivory, brown, black, or gray). Drives me nuts when I see dark brown with white devices or a white back splash with ivory devices. Can also get fancy and order Lutron's receptacles in like 24 different colors. Putting the receptacles horizontally and only 1" above the counter top also hides them well.

o

And receptacle inside an "appliance garage" do not meet the requirements for the kitchen counter receptacles in the NEC.

o

Spencer Electrician - Thanks for the detailed explanation. I now understand why electricians don't like to recommend Plugmold. I went to look at the Lutron receptacles at my lighting store and found a color sample that should match perfectly.

There still may be one place where I may want to put Plugmold if possible. Is there a best way to have it installed for efficiency and where it will be the least visibile?

o

Just stub out a 12/2 wire from the other counter top GFCI protected outlets, at the corner of where the cabinets meet the backsplash, at either end. Install it to the bottom of the cabinet and if you have a lip on the cabinet, it will hide the plugmold. Or leave sheetrock open at the top of the backsplash (hidden by the cabinet lip, and install the plug mold facing outward to the sheetrock.

o

Thank you!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here