Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudgod

Wiring Outlet to automatically turn off

mudgod
12 years ago

I have a closet with an overhead light hooked up to a dimmer switch (rated for 500 watts). The closet also has a separate outlet that's used for hooking up an iron. I was wondering if there was a way to hook up another extra outlet to turn on/off when the light turns on (to prevent leaving the iron on by mistake).

Originally I was thinking of running a line from the light itself to an outlet. The problem being the dimmer switch is rated to 500W which isn't enough for an iron plus an iron on a dimmer seems like a bad idea to begin with.

Option 1) Get rid of the dimmer and put in a standard switch, pull a line from the light to the outlet

Option 2) I was looking at Z-Wave switched outlets (GE 45605) hooked into the current lines for outlets and have them turned on via the network. The problem was the ratings were confusing (The device plugged into the Z-Wave controlled outlet on thismodule must not exceed 600 watts (Incandescent); 15 Amps, 1800W (Resistive); or � HP (Motor)). I'd say Irons are a resistive load but then so is a lightbulb?

Sorry for the long post, in summary is there an option 3 that I'm missing and/or would the Zwave outlet work for a regular Iron

Thanks a bunch

Comments (4)