Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Critique Kitchen Wiring Diagrams

Posted by stie9790 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 10:04

Hello all - based on the feedback from my last post, I've attempted two wiring diagrams for my kitchen - one for receptacle circuits and one for lighting.

The item I'm most confused about, because it seems like a lot of back and forth, is wiring the undercabinet lights (UCL's) with a three way switch, and how to make the wire not have to run back and forth like I'm showing. It seems redundant, doesn't it? I was trying to keep it simple and have a switch at either end of the loop.

Otherwise, you will notice that I bring in #14 from the panel (or #12 everywhere depending on what types of fixtures we end up with) which is marked as red on the plan as my "main" (my terminology). My assumption is that this "main" could feed all the switch boxes, and my "loops" (again, my terminology) out to the lights come off of this "main"? Does that work?

Please let me know if you have any comments. I look forward to your responses, Thanks!

kitchen_receptacles_2012-03-11
kitchen_lighting_2012-03-11

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Critique Kitchen Wiring Diagrams

My last post was this one in case you forgot:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wiring/msg0221201913779.html?23

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Post

o

1) Why 12/2 HR to the hood? Some big commercial hood going in?

2) Those are nice drawings and schematics. What program did you use.
Not that we draw things like this is up typically, but I'd love to try that out.

o

Hi Petey - In response to your questions:

1) Good point, this could probably be 14/2 since the hood is only 5.5 amps.
2) Thanks! I use AutoCAD. I use it a lot for work anyways, so it's easy for me to "fake" stuff like this...

o

Another thing I noticed. You're not planning to run 14/3 between the UC lights, are you?
If so you cannot do that. You would need to run 3-wire from switch to switch, then a 2-wire switch leg to all the lights.

o

Petey, so if I'm hearing you correctly, the ucl circuit should be switch to switch with 14/3, and from one of those switches just use 14/2 to all the ucl's? That def. sounds easier

o

Anybody else care to comment? I'm surprised I haven't heard from Ronnatalie and a few others like I did on my previous post... Oh well, I thought I'd try. Thanks!

o

It looks ok to me other than you only need 14/2 for some of the runs you've got 14/3 as already mentioned.

o

Sorry. Yes, you are right with your last reply to me.

o

Ok cool, Im pulling together stuff for my building permit application,so I just wanted to follow up... Thanks everybody!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here