Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 way lamp socket

Posted by charlie39 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 10:03

I just got a new lamp table. The socket is a 3-way. When I
put in a 3-way bulb, only 1 comes on. I got fed up and put in a single watt bulb and I have to turn it twice to come on. What's up with this? Thanks for anything you can tell me about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 way lamp socket

You have to click the switch twice because the first click turns on the low-wattage filament of the "3 way" bulb - which doesn't exist in the ordinary bulb you installed.

o

The single filament in a regular bulb is on the center contact of the bulb.

The second filament is on the ring contact on the base of the bulb.

When only one filament is present the ring-contact is not doing anything.

You can replace the socket with a regular one if you do not want to use 3-way bulbs.

The second contact in the 3-way socketys has not been manufactured correctly for a number of years.

The Chinese seem to have gotten the idea of the contact, but have failed to provide and spring action making them not work well.

The switch contacts themselves have also gotten very poor, often with short life.

But is is all OK since they have made them so cheap.
I just get tired of replacing them every 6 months.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to use the 3-way bulb, but it won't work. I thought maybe I was missing something.

o

If you have another lamp fixture, that also uses a 3-way light bulb that is working properly, try that bulb in your new table lamp.

As brickeyee stated, quite often the sockets are not manufactured as well as they should be. Sometimes the light bulb may need a little bit more (carefully applied) tightening to make contact and work properly.

If that does not work, check the bulb again in the lamp fixture you removed it from. If it works properly, you have confirmed you new table lamp is the problem and should be returned.

o

Also, you may have a broken filament in the 3-way bulb. Does it work properly in another 3-way lamp?

o

Thanks for all the help. Tried the bulb in another 3-way and it did not work there either, so am buying a new one. If that doesn't work, guess I will use a single watt.
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here