Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring 3-way where power goes to the light

Posted by ericksobj (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 9:39

I broke the cardinal rule when replacing a light fixture by not labeling the wires prior to unscrewing everything. Oops!

Basically, Im trying to wire a 3-way switch where the power is goes into the light. From what Ive found on the web, I cant find an example using the wiring I have.

Thought it would be easier if I just attached an image of what Im trying to do. (at least for me :) )

www.kinnibassmasters.com/images/basement.jpg

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring 3-way where power goes to the light

Does the 3-wire cable on the right really go to a light, or to the other switch?

o

actually, not sure, never looked. I'm at work now, otherwise i would check and give you an answer.

BUT - i'm assuming the switch. There's a 3-way wire and a 2-way wire going from the light to upstairs (top of the stairway).

The stuff I've found online shows two 2-way running to the other side, not a 3-way and 2-way.

o

Hello ericksobj

Do the Upstairs and Downstairs lights both
go on and off with the same 3 way switch??

Have A Nice Day
Linesman

o

Linesman - I'd assume that both lights are controlled by both switches, otherwise 3-wire cables to the switches would not be needed.
Erick - try this:
Number the wires on your drawing 1-12, starting with the black power wire (#1) and going clockwise, so that the red wire on the left is #12.
I am also assuming that the 3-wire cable on the right on your drawing, labeled "Goes Up Stair to Light" actually goes to the other 3-way switch.
Connect as follows:
Connect wires 1 & 10.
Re-identify both ends of wire 10 as hot (with black tape or a marker) if they are not already. At the switch, wire 10 connects to the Common terminal. The remaining wires (11 & 12) can go on either of the remaining switch terminals.
Connect wires 3 & 12 (Traveler)
Connect wires 4 & 11 (Traveler)
Connect wires 5, 6, and 9. Re-identify both ends of wire 5 as hot. At the switch, wire 5 connects to the Common terminal. The remaining wires (3 & 4) can go on either of the remaining switch terminals.
Connect wires 2, 7 and 8. (These are neutrals - no need to re-identify)

o

thanks hrajotte.

i'll try it.

my only concern is that i haven't touched the light and switch at the top of the stairs, so re-wiring those would be a change.

If that's what i have to do, then fine. but it's not the same as what it was before.

THANKS!

o

Hello ericksobj

Here is a drawing that I made, connecting the wires that you had in your drawing..I think this is your trying to do.

Photobucket

Hope This Helps....

The drawing is almost like the way hrajotte has written it out

Have A Nice Day
Linesman

o

PERFECT!!

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here