Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QO Circuit Breaker buzzing under load

Posted by bcarlson78248 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 8:36

I have a 200 amp Square D panel with QO breakers. Due to a kitchen renovation I am using my basement workbench as a temporary kitchen area. The workbench has a 20 amp circuit with two double receptacles. The 12/2 wiring and receptacles are only about 6 months old, but I don't know the age of the breaker in the panel. The wiring only goes across the basement about 25 feet, and there is nothing else on this circuit but the two workbench receptacles.

This morning the drip coffee maker was plugged in to one receptacle ( I don't know what the coffee maker draws after it stops perking.) and I plugged a 1500 watt hot plate into the 2nd receptacle and turned it on. I was close enough to the panel to hear the breaker start humming under load, and it then stopped after about 15-20 seconds.

Does this mean I have a breaker that may fail in the near future, or does the humming just mean I'm near the max amperage on the breaker? I think this breaker is an old one they reinstalled during the heavy-up, so I don't know its age.

Thanks,

Bruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QO Circuit Breaker buzzing under load

So, you have a 1500w hot plate and a coffee maker (likely 1500w itself) plugged into the same circuit? Do the math. 3000w/120v = 25 amps on a 20 amp breaker.

o

btharmy, the coffee maker draws much less power to keep the coffee warm after it is brewed.

Bruce, you were at max load in your testing regime when the hot plate was turned on. As the coil warms up resistance increases and current drops. I bet some of your other breakers buzz when a heavy load is on them. You are just not close enough to hear them talking to you.

o

Thanks for the replies. It make sense that the breaker is near max amperage even if the coffee maker is just keeping coffee warm while the hot plate is running, but I've just never heard the breaker humming before.

Bruce

o

Can't resist the impulse for this old joke--
"but I've just never heard the breaker humming before." It doesn't know the words!

o

I vaguely remember going through a Siemens breaker catalog and seeing low-noise breakers there, which kind of implies that some amount of noise is normal in regular type breakers. I hear buzzing near my new Siemens panel, and I heard buzzing from the Zinsco panel it replaced.

This post was edited by Valdemar on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 21:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here