Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparky1010

GFCI for Square D Homeline Panel

Sparky1010
11 years ago

Does anyone know of a 15 amp GFCI breaker that will fit a Square D Homeline Panel?
Thanks

Comments (35)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

The only one legal to install is the Square D HOM breaker.
    Square D calls them "Qwik Gard" (which is just their trademark for GFCI like Acc-D-tect is for the AFCI).

Home Depot sells them for $38.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago
  • petey_racer
    11 years ago

I am confused as to why this had to be asked. Unless of course he couldn't find and HOM115GFI.

Cutler Hammer also has "CL" series breakers. They are classified to fit into almost ANY 1" breaker panel.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Yep, but you won't find the Eaton CL breakers at the home centers usually. And boy, the CL GFCI's are NOT cheap. You'll pay twice what the specified breaker would cost in this case.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Absolutely correct. Not something you'll see on a shelf anywhere. My supply house stocks a bunch of standard CL breakers, but no AFCI or GFCI.

I will say, I ordered a quantity of AFCI's from him and they were not much more than other brands.

• btharmy
    11 years ago

SqD part # HOM115GFICP

You can buy them at Lowe's, Menards and Home Depot.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Why does he call himself "sparky"?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The receptacles area much better deal.
    Even with price increases, they are about $15 at many places.

they also have the nice feature of being right at the point of use, so when one does trip you do not have to go wandering off to the panel.

And just like a GFCI breaker can protect a large number of downstream outlets, a single GFCI receptacle will do the same (though at some inconvenience when it trips).

• btharmy
    11 years ago

"Why does he call himself "sparky"?"

Well, what do you think happens when he turns on the breaker?

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I called Square D when Lowes did not list the GFCI in15amp, and Square D said they did not make one for the Homeline Panel.Therefor,I was seeking a generic replacement.Now it seems that Square D tech help line is clueless about their own products.Members have directed me to suppliers of the breaker I needed.Thanks!
    As for the nick name Sparky, it is often used in the military as a generic term for electrician, as is "Jigs" for a machinist,etc.
    (Some of the older members may know what I am talking about).

• hexus
    11 years ago

"I called Square D when Lowes did not list the GFCI in15amp....."

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm confused......

This post was edited by hexus on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 21:27

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you work for Lowes, or Square D?
    They had no knowledge of a 15 amp breaker, GFCI, for the Homeline panel,which was very irritating.Now I learn they had them all along.Must have outsourced their customer service calls to Lower Slobovia or something.
    As I said, other members of the forum have directed me to a source for the breakers,and the problem is solved.So where is the confusion coming from?

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Look, I gave you the part and the link to where you could get it at HD and they I guarantee you they most of them stock them, I've bought them.

Here's the link for LOWE"S, I found it in thirty seconds of hitting their home page.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_177424-296-HOM115GFICP_0__?productId=3127975&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-3127975&CAWELAID=1023584246

Never trust the idiots in the stores for any advice or information. Unfortunately, these people know SQUAT about electrical.

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the link.I called and verified that the man had eyes on the breaker on the rack at HD.
    It did not show up on Lowes when I tried to find it several months ago,and a further inquiry to Square D got a negative result.Their rep said they did not make 15 amp GFIC for the Homeline panel.They said the new code required all 20 amp circuits for kitchen GFIC outlets.I asked how about retrofits of older systems.She could not answer that question.
    I fired off a very irate email to Square D about it,but got no reply.I also let Lowes have a piece of my mind for selling such a piece of crap that could not be used to retrofit without pulling new wire to the kitchen outlets and outdoor receptacles.
    Maybe the emails did some good.
    I had not checked on it lately.
    I should have checked again before posting the question, but usually irate emails do no good.
    I have been sitting on the Homeline panel for a long time waiting for a solution to this problem.When I have the breaker in my hands, I can then do the upgrade on my home.
    The internet is the first place I go when looking for a part, and it was not listed in Square D web page.They listed the AFCI,but not GFIC., in 15 amp.This was several months ago.
    I see that it is now listed.
    Thanks for all the help!

• btharmy
    11 years ago

I am still baffled that you had any problem at all finding the breaker you were looking for to begin with. Maybe you are being too specific with your search. I simply googled: "homeline 15 gfci". It returned over 500,000 pages in less than one second. The top two being HD and Platt.

• hexus
    11 years ago

It's a conspiracy. Obviously Square D, Home Depot, and Lowes all took down their listings at the exact time that he did his search and then hurried and put them back up.

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would not have wasted my time on this forum if I had not encountered the problems just as I have related them to this forum.I will try to find the emails sent by Square D to me, stating that they did not make a 115 volt GFIC for the Homeline panel.It is on another hard drive that crashed, but some of the data is recoverable.Hopefully I can find it, and put to rest your sarcasm.
    Your cynicism is understandable, but I always consider the source and allow for ignorance when dealing with others,therefor I am not offended.(I don't mind hearing the voices, I just wish they would reach a consensus).
    I appreciate the helpful link that another member provided, and overlook the useless waste of electrons that others have used.

• hexus
    11 years ago

"stating that they did not make a 115 volt...... "

your story just changed....

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

115/120 are used interchangeably in the electrical trade.120 v is the present standard,but at one time 110 volt was the standard, then 115, then 120 volt..Pardon my digression to a bygone time.You know what I meant,Are you a lawyer, or something, to make something from nothing?(It depends on what IS is..BC). I appreciate constructive criticism,which you have not provided.The rest I simply ignore.I do not suffer fools lightly,so your future attempts will be ignored by me as I would the ramblings of any mentally challenged person.
    It is not my fault that you had to ride that little short school bus.Not my fault you never met your dad.Not my fault your mama doesn't know him either.See how easy it is to control you? I bet you are red as a beet by now, wanting to get your hands on me.You have turned the control of your adrenaline gland over to me.I can control you with text on a screen.How weak you must be.
    You must LURK around forums looking for trouble.I pity anyone so lonely and bored.Find a good woman(if that is your sexual preference,(which I doubt)) to argue with,or get dog to listen to your troubles.
    I joined this forum to get information, which I now have, and so I will drop out of this forum,since you want to make this a war of words,which you do not posses the equipment to even put up a modicum of resistance, much less win..
    Goodbye and better luck next time.

• hexus
    11 years ago

first you said that they told you they didn't make a 15 amp GFCI breaker, now you're saying that they told you they said they don't make 115 volt breakers? Meaning they told you they don't make any single pole breakers?
    In any of your previous posts voltage was pretty much irrelevant as it was assumed you were looking for a single pole. You call yourself "sparky" and you honestly thought that a 15 amp GFCI wasn't made, or that no single pole breakers were made by Square D? You made an account here and posted this, just for that reason?
    You even went as far as to state you've written nasty letters to companies because of your ignorance. 2 seconds produced you several sources for what you were looking for.
    I'm assuming you're either some sort of know it all home owner, who knows way more than anyone else despite your painfully obvious ignorance, or a handy man hack that has no business don't electrical work if you really are this incompetent.
    Hopefully you don't end up killing yourself or someone else. Good luck, it looks like you're going to need it.....

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

It's pointless to discuss what Schneider may or may not have said. The simple reality is that the breaker you need is readily available. Why not just purchase one, install it, and move on to other things.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

It sounds like he is talking to drones who do not even understand that 110-115-120 V are all the same thing.

The NEC set 120 V (and 240 V) as the 'nominal' value that is used in calculation many code revisions ago.

Not everyone has adjusted apparently.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

"115/120 are used interchangeably in the electrical trade.120 v is the present standard,but at one time 110 volt was the standard, then 115, then 120 volt..Pardon my digression to a bygone time.You know what I meant,Are you a lawyer, or something, to make something from nothing?(It depends on what IS is..BC). I appreciate constructive criticism,which you have not provided.The rest I simply ignore.I do not suffer fools lightly,so your future attempts will be ignored by me as I would the ramblings of any mentally challenged person.
    It is not my fault that you had to ride that little short school bus.Not my fault you never met your dad.Not my fault your mama doesn't know him either.See how easy it is to control you? I bet you are red as a beet by now, wanting to get your hands on me.You have turned the control of your adrenaline gland over to me.I can control you with text on a screen.How weak you must be.
    You must LURK around forums looking for trouble.I pity anyone so lonely and bored.Find a good woman(if that is your sexual preference,(which I doubt)) to argue with,or get dog to listen to your troubles.
    I joined this forum to get information, which I now have, and so I will drop out of this forum,since you want to make this a war of words,which you do not posses the equipment to even put up a modicum of resistance, much less win..
    Goodbye and better luck next time."

Wow!
    You've played the mentally challenged card. The ba$tard card. The "your mama" card. And sadly enough the lame and oh so incorrect "I can control you" card.
    Then the lonely and bored card. And finally, the pièce de résistance...the gay card.

I hope for your sake you are gone. You have made all enemies and no friends with your banter and lame attempt at quasi-intelligent insults.
    Don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on the way out.

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW
    Must have hit home with at least one of those, according to your response.I will not venture to guess which one(s),which proves that you have surrendered your emotional state to a bunch of electrons on a screen.They mean nothing.Just pixels of light and dark.Arrange them any way you like they are harmless.Only the mind of the reader can give them power, and you have empowered them to your detriment.You have my pity, but you cannot provoke me with words, you can only grant more control to the pixels by attempting to do so.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Oh look who's back. And look who thinks FAR to highly of his writing and mind control skills.
    Give it up skippy. You are barking up the wrong tree with this charade.

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only one I was replying to was Hexus, not you, but since you have picked up the gauntlet to defend your friend, and put your nose in someone else's business,you get what you deserve.Never get between two dogs in a fight.
    Your opening statement said it all "I am confused....",which means you did not understand what was simply and clearly stated by me.If you did understand it, you were implying that I lied in my first statement, either way, you are confused.
    And your status has not changed, IMHO.
    You have not contributed in a useful manner to this forum.If you will start at the beginning, and read all of the posts in a chronological manner, you will see that I began as being very civil and diplomatic,and thankful for the helpful contributions of others..As the thread progressed, Hexus began to impune my integrity, and after a while, I decided to take off the kid gloves.
    When I get off of this mental ward,I will change out the panel at home....only 6 more months to go and I am a free man----for a while,if I keep my cool, till my next episode,that is.They say i am crazy, but they are wrong.It is the world that is crazy...look around, you will see...people always looking at you, talking behind your back, snickering, laughing,pointing,whispering.(I can prove they are snickering, because I found a wrapper they left behind.)You just never know who you will meet on the net.I gotta go, I am not supposed to be on a computer, but this is one I put together from scrap parts and a cell phone.I am good at tinkering like that, and I am tapped onto their T1 line at their POP in their telephone room.SHH!!They're talking again,but I can't quite make out what they are saying....

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Golly, I thought you had to be 18 or older to use these forums.

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where do you live?Oh, never mind, I can trace the email route all the way back to your computer.LEO's have to have a warrant, but they don't know how to access the back doors.See ya later.

• hexus
    11 years ago

Is this guy for real? Tracing emails? Making threats on the internet? Seriously?
    If you looked at my "I'm confused" post you would see that it was a link to the Lowe's listing which you said didn't exist smart guy...
    If you're so incompetent that you couldn't even use google, or the built in search engines of Home Depot and Lowe's to search for a 15 amp GFCI, I'm really not too threatened that you'll "trace me down" through "email routes". So you're some sort of super duper elite hacker now too? Hopefully you're a little better at that than doing electrical work. Going to trace me down through those "email routes" huh? Damn, I'm seriously scared....

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A threat? Hell, I was going to buy you a beer
    No sense of humor at all.
    Lighten up!
    I play rough,and sometimes people get hurt or offended.
    A sick S.O.B I am, I know, but I was left on the doorstep of an orphanage,,so yes, I am a bast**d, and had to learn the hard way that the best defense is a good offense.
    Now, back to the matter at hand, I said that SEVERAL MONTHS AGO I could not find the breakers.I had not looked for them recently due to my current situation of restricted communication.If I had checked recently, I am sure they would have shown up.
    You are right, I should have updated my information before asking for help.
    Have one on me!

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

"Your opening statement said it all "I am confused....",which means you did not understand what was simply and clearly stated by me.If you did understand it, you were implying that I lied in my first statement, either way, you are confused.
    And your status has not changed, IMHO. "

Wow. You sure do have a good memory to remember all the way back to my original reply.
    You are obviously a man, because you used your man vision to see only what you wanted to see in my first reply.
    I was "confused" as to why you asked such an unnecessary question. The answer was PLAINLY obvious using far less effort than it took to type your original post. See my convenient link below.

Oh, and as to your pseudo psychotic demeanor and covert threats, good luck tracking anybody down by their e-mail "back door". Since you are so much better than the feds maybe you should apply for a job as a consultant.

I think Ron is right. There should be an 18 year old requirement on this site. The 12 year old posers are getting rampant around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let me Google that for you

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You will make somebody a good wife some day...you've already got that B&G stuff down pat.
    Since you mention age requirement, what are you doing here?

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Oh, don't worry. I am between the ages of 18 and 49. So I'm safe. :)

• Sparky1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Safe for, or from what?
    Doesn't matter.
    This is my last post.
    I have learned a few things about you:
    You are female
    you are blonde
    your are clueless;(but gifted, for a blonde)
    you are bored
    You drink too much
    you talk too much
    You are educated beyond your common sense.
    You are dull
    I will not hear your final retort,so don't waste your time.
    I wish you good luck in all your endeavors, and may the sun always shine in your door.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

That's nice.
    My time is never wasted. I do this for the fun of it.

I hope you seek the professional psychological help you so obviously need.