Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct ground wiring for a light?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 8:30

Hi All,
I just hung a new bathroom fixture and was wondering if I hooked up the ground correctly. The fixture has a ground wire. Also supplied was a ground screw on the base of the fixture (mounts to the wall) and a ground screw on the support (that holds the threaded rod) which is secured to the electrical box.

My home wiring has a ground that terminates on the electrical box. I secured the mount
and hooked up the ground wire of the fixture to the ground screw on the base of the fixture. I did not bother to run a ground from the box to the fixture since I figured it would be grounded when I secured the light to the box.

I measured the resistance of the fixture to the ground wire and it was less than half an ohm (.4 to be specific). Is this acceptable? Sorry if its confusing.
Thanks!
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct ground wiring for a light?

No, it is not acceptable. If the fixture has a ground wire, you must connect it. The mounting screws for the fixtures are NOT sufficient no matter what you measure with your meter.

o

I attached the ground wire of the fixture to the ground screw on the base of the fixture (which is mounted to the wall). The fixture base is mounted to the junction box and since the box is grounded, the fixture base should be too. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. Does that change your opinion?

o
follow up

or do I need to run a ground wire from the box to the ground wire on the mount and then attach the fixture ground?

o

All the provided grounds should be connected together with the ground in the cable (if provided) and a pigtail to the box itself (if it's metal).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here